Best beer you ever made - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Best beer you ever made

Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #51
coastwx
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Raleigh, NC
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
Dean Larsen's SNCA clone
11.75 lb. 2 row pale
1 lb. crystal 55
1 oz. Chinook 13% 60 min.
.25 oz. Chinook 13% 30 min.
1 oz. Cascade 0 min.
.25 oz. each Cascade and Centennial dry hop

I just did a side by side( yeah 2009 SNCA made it to Florida) and it is as good as the original
Planning a porter and IPA brewday on Sat and have a new bag of Chinook, Cent and some Cascade from the last hops order. I'm going to craft my IPA after this clone. May add some Citra to this hops schedule. Thanks.

My best lately seems to be the latest. I'm 1 year into this hobby and the batches from this summer to the present are preferable to just about any craft brew. I'll still buy a sixer a week for a broad selection, but they are starting to accumulate in my beer fridge. A Loose Cannon clone a few batches back has been the best hands down. The hops were not perfectly done to match Loose Cannon, but it was so good, I had a hard time keeping myself to 24 oz on weekday evenings.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #52
bentonre
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Allentown, PA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would have to say my Oktoberfest that is on tap. It was my first lager and 3rd all grain. I am not sure if it will remain my favorite purely from being the best, but I could see it remaining a strong favorite, simply because it was the largest step change in quality/taste with my homebrewing so far IMHO.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #53
chapa

Recipes 

Jul 2010
St Louis, MO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My favorite so far, was probably my Amarillo IPA DH'd with Amarillo/Simcoe. But my All-Centennial IPA is right up there. Tastes almost identical to Two Hearted. I'll have to do a side-by-side soon. I've been trying to let it age, and only treat myself to one here and there. I love hops, but am also looking forward to coming up with some more complex malty recipes! Definitely haven't developed the Oak or Smoked palette yet.

Really need to make that Lake Walk Pale Ale sometime.
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 12-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #54
mychalg9
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Algonquin, IL
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The best beer I made was my first one: A russian imperial stout from an extract kit. I brewed it last Dec 26th. Its just tasting good now.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #55
jm195907
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Athens OH

I've only got a few batches under my belt, but Yooper's DFH 60 min clone turned out amazing.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:19 AM   #56
dulansey
Recipes 

Dec 2016
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Best would have to be a clone of Stone's Russian Imperial Stout. Hands down. It was my first-ever all-grain batch (been all-grain ever since). Nobody could believe I was a noob and got those results.

A close second was a Centennial Blonde Ale. That keg was killed on a brew day by some buddies who came over to brew. Always thought that you're supposed to end up with more beer after a brew day, not less.

edit - oh man my first post was from a 6 year old thread. seems about right!! well it's a good thread...

People Like This 
Old 12-23-2016, 12:54 AM   #57
schmittychris
Recipes 

Jan 2015
Reno, Nevada
Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

My best was for the first and only competition I've entered. I scored a 41 but lost a point because the LHBS was out of clear belgian candy so I used dark. My Saison was out of style because of color and I should have entered it into a different category. I've made it several times since but never as good as that batch.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:17 PM   #58
Invertalon
Recipes 

Jun 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

I don't think I could honestly pick a favorite, so many have been incredible. But here are a few of the best:

A 12.1% Bourbon Vanilla Rye Imperial Stout. Aged on charred oak, 10yr bourbon, Madagascan vanilla beans. On tap now. Lucious mouthfeel, complex flavors, no booze at all.

Bohemian Pilsner I made last summer. Double docotion brewing process, all Saaz hops. Stunning Pils! Brewing up another pils in two weeks with all my new, fresh 16' Leaf hops (Saaz, Tradition, Mittelfruh and Tettnanger).

My NE DIPA from a few months back... I would put it up against any Tree House, Trillium, Etc... It was heavy on Nugget hops, but of course has juicier varieties as well. Currently have a NE Pale fermenting now, primarily Citra/Galaxy hops and shaping up to be just as good or even better at half the ABV!

I had two similar porters that were both awesome, about 5% ABV. Hint of smoked malt for complexity, drank a lot bigger than what they were. One was a tweak of the first (basically adding a touch more roast character), but I think third time will nail exactly the profile I am after, creating a recipe directly in between these two.

My Schwarzbier and Cream Ale are also notable mention.

All my beers are original recipes, never cloned or rebrewed anyone elses beers.

Too many to choose though... I have only have two or three beers that I didn't care for (two hefeweizens and a brown ale). Hefe's just didn't pop or get the flavor profile I was after, while the brown ale was just muddled, I believe due to yeast stress (accident!). Otherwise, love nearly every beer I put out with just a few exception.

A2HB Likes This 
Old 12-24-2016, 04:17 AM   #59
Pantherjon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2015
Hinesville, Georgia
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

I have 2 that are really neck and neck...But, I would probably have to go with the Irish Stout..Was a Brewer's Best partial mash kit and was the first batch I kegged..It was awesome all the way up to the final pull of the tap! Even after waiting for all the foam to settle it was GOOD! Gonna have to brew that one again!

The other one was an all grain kit Gooder Then Guinness..Did a blind taste test with the real deal(set up by my daughter) and I couldn't distinguish between the 2..Found out after I told her which one a preferred best..It was my HB!...Still have a few bottles from that batch left..Another one that needs to be done again..

Old 12-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #60
masonsjax
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Frederick, MD
Liked 624 Times on 439 Posts

When I posted originally in this thread, it wasn't too hard to decide. Now 6 years later there's been too many good ones to even remember. Any beers with smoked grain are delicious. I love all the sours I've made, especially the non-kettle soured ones, although they're good too. I've served stouts, milds, saisons, IPAs, etc. on my nitro tap and each of them were awesome. I've been very pleased with lots of hop heavy IPAs of every sort. What can I say, I like beer