Brewstand input? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Brewstand input?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,417
Liked 7843 Times on 5496 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
I know an electrician that would help you out for a few beers!
Slaps forehead! OMG- I forgot about you! Well, not as a brewing buddy, but that as an EE with an electric company, you might be a good resource!!!!! Duh! (By the way, brewing tomorrow during the day if you wanna come over- two batch day.)

So, if BK can help design, and you can help with the electrical/venting ideas, I have two experts right there!

At this point, I can pay you in yeast, grain, and hops and beer. If you start to charge more, we'll have to talk.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,417
Liked 7843 Times on 5496 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
You just don't have any electric dryer/oven/water heater outlets, right? You probably have a 220/240v service. It should just be a matter of running wire and terminations if you have the proper service.

Otherwise, not cheap...
Nah, I don't have it period. I have an old house, and I'm happy to have 100 amp service!

I'll see if lschiavo can take a look and actually tell me what I have. Pretty please, lschiavo?
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,601
Liked 1050 Times on 714 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Nah, I don't have it period. I have an old house, and I'm happy to have 100 amp service!

I'll see if lschiavo can take a look and actually tell me what I have. Pretty please, lschiavo?
We were going to look at your service the day I was over but we got distracted with brewing.

To not have a 240V service is very rare. I'm sure you are ok there.

Not sure about tomorrow, but I will stop by if I'm in the area.

I would actually really like to help with the build. Sounds like a lot of fun!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
Boerderij_Kabouter
 
Boerderij_Kabouter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,750
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts


Wait... what?! You don't have 220v access? I don't think that is right. You don't have 200amp service, neither do I. But 220v is what is used for most power transmission (at least I thought so) and its just a matter of how you hook up the circuit (two hots or one hot). If I am wrong I would like to know. Learn something new everyday


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,417
Liked 7843 Times on 5496 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
yeah, I wouldnt vent into the attic. That is the last place you want moisture problems, you'll also be send co2 through out the house. It needs to vent outside.

Im partial to electric. Since you are looking at setting it up in the laundry room, what is the service to the dryer rated at? If you don't know look in the breaker panel for for the dryer breaker and write down it's rating. Im guessing 30 amp.

What size batches do you want to be able to do?
I really like your system- but I really don't think I'm handy enough to figure it out/build it. Ideally, I'd like to do 10 gallon batches but I could live with 5 if I had to. I wouldn't mind an all electric system, with a two tier, and three vessels. (The MLT could remain a cooler, right?)

My house has all gas appliances, and not great electrical.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,417
Liked 7843 Times on 5496 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
We were going to look at your service the day I was over but we got distracted with brewing.

To not have a 240V service is very rare. I'm sure you are ok there.

Not sure about tomorrow, but I will stop by if I'm in the area.

I would actually really like to help with the build. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Well, I have no idea, really. I told you that I'm a simpleton when it comes to things like that.

By the way, since you're willing to help me, I take back all of those snarky comments I made about engineers. I was just jealous. Yeah, that's it! Jealous!

If you can stop by, that'd be great. I'll try to get brewing by 9 AM, and finished by 2 PM. Only one beer on tap right now, the oatmeal stout, but you're welcome to have a few!

Thanks for everybody's input! I'll see what I have, and then start from there. I really am a total noob here- I've never even seen a brewstand before so this is a real learning experience for me!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
CodeRage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Posts: 2,222
Liked 47 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I really like your system- but I really don't think I'm handy enough to figure it out/build it. Ideally, I'd like to do 10 gallon batches but I could live with 5 if I had to. I wouldn't mind an all electric system, with a two tier, and three vessels. (The MLT could remain a cooler, right?)

My house has all gas appliances, and not great electrical.
Why thank you. It could be done with a lot less plumbing and electrical stuff but I wasn't suggesting you build one. You seem like a 3 vessel kind of lass to me The counter top version of the brutus 20 seems to be pretty popular and well documented should you decide to save a little room.

Is it the cost of the pumps or the actual wiring of the pumps that has you put off? Or perhaps the plumbing? If you wanted to do a RIMS or HERMS a pump is just about required.

There was a very nice, super compact three tier brewery that was put together not too long ago. Think they were calling it a tier and a half. Should I ever build another one, I may go that route. That could easily be adapted for an electric system. Yes you can keep the cooler too.
__________________
Brutus 20e build | Electrical Primer for Brewers | Auber SYL-2362A2 PID Install & Config
So as I am walking out the door this morning I think to my self:
"self, going to work on Monday is like knowing you're going to get kicked in the nuts. You just don't know when or by who"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:39 AM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,417
Liked 7843 Times on 5496 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
Why thank you. It could be done with a lot less plumbing and electrical stuff but I wasn't suggesting you build one. You seem like a 3 vessel kind of lass to me The counter top version of the brutus 20 seems to be pretty popular and well documented should you decide to save a little room.

Is it the cost of the pumps or the actual wiring of the pumps that has you put off? Or perhaps the plumbing? If you wanted to do a RIMS or HERMS a pump is just about required.

There was a very nice, super compact three tier brewery that was put together not too long ago. Think they were calling it a tier and a half. Should I ever build another one, I may go that route. That could easily be adapted for an electric system. Yes you can keep the cooler too.
I don't really want a counter top system, a sculpture is fine with me. I like the idea of wheels and a "wheelbarrow" moving option. It's not the cost of the pumps- it's the plumbing and the operation. If I'm not smart enough to know how to plumb it, how am I going to prime it, or fix it if something goes wrong?!? But ideally, I would have a RIMS or HERMS.

Where can I see a tier and half? I was just looking at morebeer.com's site, and I love their sculpture with the tippy dump, and the HLT under the MLT. One pump may not intimidate me as much as two to start with!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
lehr
 
lehr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
flushing michigan
Posts: 786
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts


You have 220 you just dont have an outlet wired in. I dont know about 3 tier set ups because you have to lift the water pretty high to get it in your hlt.
To bad your so far away I would love to give you a hand with the whole thing.
Let me know what I can do..If you have a drawing I could build it for you.

Pat


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #20
Sawdustguy
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,708
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lehr View Post
You have 220 you just dont have an outlet wired in. I dont know about 3 tier set ups because you have to lift the water pretty high to get it in your hlt.
To bad your so far away I would love to give you a hand with the whole thing.
Let me know what I can do..If you have a drawing I could build it for you.

Pat
You have got to see Pat's (Lehr) system. If I were in Yooper's shoes I would take him up on it in a heartbeat. It's not only a brewery, it's a work of art. Take a look at it in his gallery.

__________________
Guy


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Brewstand (thanks Pol!) CollinsBrew Brew Stands 7 03-11-2015 03:56 AM
Fold Up Brewstand? Cpt_Kirks Brew Stands 8 01-08-2009 03:25 PM
brewstand input AGBrewer Equipment/Sanitation 2 04-30-2007 01:55 AM
Makeshift brewstand take two Bobby_M All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 15 04-11-2007 02:23 PM
AG without a brewstand desiderata All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 36 03-26-2007 09:15 PM


Forum Jump