Teagues Pt. Amber Ale #4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast 1332
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Conditioned 2 wks
Tasting Notes
Strong bodied Ale with a hoppy nose and smokey aftertones
Teagues Pt. Amber #4
American Amber Ale

Type: Extract
Date: 08/31/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.11 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 90.96 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.65 %
0.20 lb Beech Smoked Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.26 %
0.10 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.13 %
1 oz Centennial [9.70 %] (60 min) Hops 25.8 IBU
0.25 oz Williamette [4.90 %] (15 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1 oz Williamette [4.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.6 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Northwest Ale (Wyeast Labs #1332) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Alcohol by Vol: 5.34 %
Bitterness: 30.0 IBU Calories: 240 cal/pint
SRM Color: 16 SRM

Add the grains at the start of the boil and hold them for 20 min at 170. Removed grains and boil the water, turn off the flame, add all of the LME - stir and return to boil. At the boil add the Centennial hops. I have tried many different hops in this recipe and Centennial has really won me over as the clean favorite.
At 15 min add 1 tsp. Irish moss, wort chiller (to sterilize) and 2nd hop addition.
At 5 min the final hop addition.

Fermented at 70 for 21 days in the primary and then bottled with 4 oz of dextrose and stored at 68-70 for 14 days.

TP#4 is my flagship Amber.

I use Northwest Ale Yeast here in the summer because it can thrive up to 75 and even though my basement is 70-74 in the summer with heat of fermentation I have hit 74.5/75 and still didn't have any real Ester problems. Some good warm weather yeast right there...

I have some really large, well for the East coast, beechnut trees so I thought it would be cool to start experimenting with just a small amount of beech smoked malt to pass on the local flavor. It worked out well and feel free mess with that either way. Same with the roasted barley, you can drop an SRM or 2 if you omit it.

I really believe in long primary fermentations, if you wait the yeast will clean up many headaches. I start my primary on the concrete basement floor and after 14 days I elevate it to the top of a metal shelf for the remaining 7 days. After 21 or so days I carefully remove the top of the plastic pail and siphon to a bottling pail with 4 oz of dextrose.

I can't help myself but to drink one of the single bottles after a week but I usually convince myself to wait the full 14+ days to start consuming. 2 days in the fridge gives a nice clear copper ale.

Enjoy!

tpambernum4.jpg

Back