Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg fitting lifespan question

Old 11-03-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
Tourney3p0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keg fitting lifespan question

Hey guys,

I bought a kit to convert a mini fridge to a kegerator from a company that seems to be highly regarded on this forum. I had some problems with my equipment that I wanted to run by you guys.

First off, three of my four keg fittings (two corny kegs) leaked. I tested this by pressurizing both kegs, then putting a drop of liquid dish soap on the posts. Three of the four posts made bubbles, telling me that air was escaping. To clarify, I'm talking about the fitting itself leaking, and not a leak due to it not being screwed in all the way or something similar.

Secondly, one of the kegs came with a wrong fitting. Both of the posts on one of the kegs were for beer out.

So, I have two questions:

1) How often do fittings need to be replaced? Obviously they need to be replaced whenever they go bad, but I was wondering what one might expect for an average lifespan.

2) Don't most places test pressure before shipping out a unit? Given that one of the kegs had two beer-out posts, I don't see how it possibly could have been tested.

As a side note, I've talked to the company and they've since made it right. My primary concern is with the first question and the second question is more just a general gripe to get it off my chest.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:49 AM   #2
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First of all , relax. Find out if all the orings were replaced, or if replacement orings came with the kegs. It sounds like you are saying that the poppets are leaking. Some keg lube would more than likely solve that issue.

But, before you do anything, I would share your above concerns with the company you bought them from. THe company that I deal with is very noob friendly and always does a good job of making things right. Call them or use keg lube. Then we'll work from there.

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 11-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
Tourney3p0
Recipes 

It does look like it's the poppets I'm talking about. I wasn't sure what they were called.

I've still got the originals. I guess I'll lube them up and see if I can get them to stop leaking. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

What do you mean by originals? The poppets or orings? Leave the new ones on there, just make sure you use keg lube when ever you assemble them and especially on the lid oring. You can put a bit of keg lube on tip of the poppet.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:42 AM   #5
Tourney3p0
Recipes 

I meant the poppets.

I tried to use some keg lube on them, but that didn't bring them back to life. It kept leaking the same as before. The lid and its o-ring hasn't been an issue in any of this.

I called my local homebrew store to ask them if they knew aything to do in order to stop the posts from leaking, and they said to replace the poppets. They didn't know how long was a reasonable lifetime for poppets though, and that's what I was originally wondering (though I didn't know the terminology).

Old 11-04-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourney3p0 View Post
I tried to use some keg lube on them, but that didn't bring them back to life. It kept leaking the same as before. The lid and its o-ring hasn't been an issue in any of this.
I've purchased a few used kegs with leaky poppets. No big deal, just replace them. They're sprung devices, so they do wear out with normal use.

I recommend you read the Keg Cleaning Guide and order some poppet valves from this website (cheapest I've seen). Just make sure you order the correct type (Cornelius vs Firestone).

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 11-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

I've occasionally replaced poppets, but in 8 years, I've never replaced a replacement and most of my poppets are the ones installed when I purchased the kegs. Poppets last a long time.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
JesseRC
Recipes 

Quote:
I meant the poppets.

I called my local homebrew store to ask them if they knew aything to do in order to stop the posts from leaking, and they said to replace the poppets. They didn't know how long was a reasonable lifetime for poppets though, and that's what I was originally wondering (though I didn't know the terminology).

If you just bought these though, I would still give the vendor a call. They may send you out some poppets or posts or have you return the kegs. Sometimes those poppets dont sit right. I have to push them in with a pin or screw driver until they sit right. Give the vendor a call and give them a chance to make it right. It can't hurt.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRC View Post
If you just bought these though, I would still give the vendor a call. They may send you out some poppets or posts or have you return the kegs. Sometimes those poppets dont sit right. I have to push them in with a pin or screw driver until they sit right. Give the vendor a call and give them a chance to make it right. It can't hurt.
Did you read the op? He did that.

Quote:
As a side note, I've talked to the company and they've since made it right. My primary concern is with the first question and the second question is more just a general gripe to get it off my chest.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
I've occasionally replaced poppets, but in 8 years, I've never replaced a replacement and most of my poppets are the ones installed when I purchased the kegs. Poppets last a long time.
This is good to know. I was under the impression that they crapped out all the time. At ~$3 a pop I didn't want to hear that. I'm glad this is not the case.