Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I'm about to show my ignorance....

Old 11-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #11
lpdb185
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
And get another batch going two or three weeks after you brew the first one. Trust me.
yeah, i would drink a few a day if my wife would let me. for a while there i was on a role, and she finally gave me an ultimatum; only get to drink twice a month . so, i proably won't be going through it too fast. then again, maybe i can convince her it is merely for artisinal/learning purposes .

i gotta say, i'm a seasoned member on three other boards (all car/racing related) and i have never seen this many responses this fast. i can tell this is gonna be a great site to learn from. thanks!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you like a Belgian Wit, you should try the Austin Homebrew Supply Belgian White Beer or Hoegaarden White Clone. I have the Belgian White kit on tap in my kegerator, this is how it turned out.

I would echo the advice of the previous poster who recommended making a few cheap kits to get your process down and then moving on. It isn't that there are that much harder, but you will make mistakes, so it is easier to make cheap mistakes. Check out Austin Homebrew Supply's 50 cent beers. I have made the Belgian White (see above), Texas Blonde, and Ordinary Bitter. All have turned out great. The only flaw was one that I unfortunately added (see thread on Texas Blonde).

Have fun!

Eric

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #13
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdb185 View Post
yeah, i would drink a few a day if my wife would let me. for a while there i was on a role, and she finally gave me an ultimatum; only get to drink twice a month .
I think if my g/f told me I could only drink twice a month, I'd either go to jail for beating her or leave her because I couldn't deal with her sober.

Kidding of course.

As for making high gravity beers, I want to clarify my original post.

Making high gravity beers in the 6-10% range isn't difficult. It's when you start breaking the 10% barrier that it starts to get fun. Yeast don't really like to deal with gravities much beyond 10%. They will, but it's extremely stressful on them and you risk a stuck fermentation every time. At this point, it really comes in handy to feed them sugar slowly. You start out with a 8 or 9% ABV beer, then add a few more pounds of sugar to the fermentor every few days or so. This allows the yeast to stay active and not become overwhelmed.

Read up on how Sam Adam's brewed their Utopias if you really want to get into high alcohol beers.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
yeah, i would drink a few a day if my wife would let me. for a while there i was on a role, and she finally gave me an ultimatum; only get to drink twice a month . so, i proably won't be going through it too fast. then again, maybe i can convince her it is merely for artisinal/learning purposes .

i gotta say, i'm a seasoned member on three other boards (all car/racing related) and i have never seen this many responses this fast. i can tell this is gonna be a great site to learn from. thanks!
I have to say...there are lots of fish in the sea. If she is that controlling...well, let's say that I would put her back in the ocean

Eric

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 11-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
yeah, i would drink a few a day if my wife would let me. for a while there i was on a role, and she finally gave me an ultimatum; only get to drink twice a month .
So what's the ultimatum? only get to drink twice a month... or.... what?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #16
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If it's no sex...I think I could do without for a few months and just go on a massive homebrew bender.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #17
lpdb185
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
If it's no sex...I think I could do without for a few months and just go on a massive homebrew bender.
yeah, i have gladly traded a few nights of beer for a few nights of sex. The last time i went out of state and brought back about $150 worth of Belgians, i think i went without for about a month straight (just couldn't stop drinking them).