Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewing Gods V. Peers
View Poll Results: What advice do you most treasure?
Brewer radio (BN, BBR) 10 5.41%
Forums such as HBT 127 68.65%
Advice from LHBS 3 1.62%
Books (Palmer, Papazian, Mosher, etc) 2 1.08%
No one source is more valued than another, but the combination of them makes my beer awesome. 35 18.92%
The guy pushing his wife around in a shopping cart. 8 4.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Default Brewing Gods V. Peers

I'm just curious. Who has improved you more as a brewer? Is it the gurus on the radio shows on The Brewing Network and Basic Brewing with their established homebrew radio stars? Or is it the low lifes such as us, the collective on forums such as HBT with our database of individual experiences.

Personally, I take whatever i can from wherever it is available.

MOD EDIT: Poll options added.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 2

HBT wins by a landslide for me. However, it took me 15 tries to make a good batch of beer so what does that tell you.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts

Neither, for me it is non-radio gurus like George Fix, Greg Noonan and Ray Daniels.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For me it's here. The collective knowledge of this repository is staggering. If you spend an hour here and there REALLY reading what is in here you'll be an "expert" in no time. Granted, no amount of book worm education can make up for good old fashioned experience. However, this forum can get you very well prepared to deal with almost anything that comes up in your process. In other words, when you DO experience it, it won't be a suprise and you may even know how to handle it to a T. A radio show or TV show are great for making you think, or covering topics of interest, but you can't ever get the full picture like you can from printed word and reading about the experiences of others.

Bottled - Brewer's Best English Brown Ale (Suprisingly good!), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cleveland Winter Pale Ale

Tap-A-Drafted - Sweet Baby Stout

On Deck -

Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I predict HBT wins by a landslide.

But a poll taken on say amazon.com from people buying homebrew books might have the books win, a poll taken by a brewer's radio station might have the station win, a poll taken by the LHBS might have the LHBS win...

All kind of biased because the answers will be skewed to whoever's running the poll, because there will always be a higher percentage of people who swear by that method.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6072 Times on 5230 Posts
Likes Given: 81

HBT, for me, has provided the "push" to dig deeper into the sciences of brewing rather than just mash some stuff together to make a decent beer.

Most of my jounrney has been trial and error which I find invaluable to improving the craft and the art.

You just have to drink some mistakes to endure making it better next time.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
I predict HBT wins by a landslide.

But a poll taken on say amazon.com from people buying homebrew books might have the books win, a poll taken by a brewer's radio station might have the station win, a poll taken by the LHBS might have the LHBS win...

All kind of biased because the answers will be skewed to whoever's running the poll, because there will always be a higher percentage of people who swear by that method.
Agreed. However. It is still true to me that I can learn by the drip method on HBT. I have a low attention span, so although the radio guys talk a lot of good stuff, i just can't retain the knowledge the same, so i feel it's still a valid question.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I don't listen to internet radio, I'm usually not in the LHBS that long, and I'm too busy taking pictures of the guy with his wife in the cart to send to peopleofwalmart.com which leaves no time to ask him what his personal preference is regarding specialty malts.
murr
Kegged
Modified Warbler Pale Ale (with wet-hop addition&different yeast)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 11-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It was a real mix for me. I read 6 or 7 brewing books. Then I found HBT and picked up more knowledge here. Then I heard about BN here and started listening to podcasts on the ride to and from work and picked up more there. It's a real split between the three.

Never got much from my LHBS in the way of knowledge. By the time I actually started brewing, I felt like I knew more than they did and after listening to them giving advice to other customers, I might have been right.

But shopping cart guy was INDISPENSABLE!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 95

In my opinion, I've learned most from brewing books, meaning good books, not some of the jokes for sale nowdays and held in high regard by the newcomers. Noonan, Miller, Daniels etc. The old Brewing Tech. etc. But most of all from experience.

The so called "Brew Gods" are a joke IMO. Just a bunch of swell heads searching for ego infalation and a fast buck. HBT is a fun place to visit with fellow brewers, but one would have a hard time sorting out good information from the hype for a beginner.