Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Would it make a difference?

Old 11-03-2009, 12:31 AM   #11
CaliBuddha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice.

Also, is it not wise to carbonate your beer in the second fermenter? I figured I could get it more evenly spread out that way and not have to worry as much about busting bottles if I get too much in one bottle.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6197 Times on 4412 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBuddha View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Also, is it not wise to carbonate your beer in the second fermenter? I figured I could get it more evenly spread out that way and not have to worry as much about busting bottles if I get too much in one bottle.
Right. The secondary is a place for clearing and conditioning. You don't carbonate in there. You still use an airlock. I don't use a secondary at all, but some people do.

Carbonation occurs after that, when you get ready to bottle. You add some sugar ( a prescribed amount, so that you don't have bottle bombs) and your beer to the bottles.

Do you have a hydrometer? That's the only way to tell if the beer is done fermenting, and is ready to bottle.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #13
CaliBuddha
Recipes 

I do but I forgot to use it after I brewed... But yea, I guess Ill just leave it for another few days and check the hydrometer and then check it each day after that and see whats up b/c the airlock hasnt done one damn bit of bubbling at all. I would love to know if its even doing anything, lol

Old 11-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
3 Dog Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBuddha View Post
As YooperBrew says, carbonating in the secondary is not a good idea unless you have the proper vessel for it. A glass carboy won't take much in the way of PSI to break. You can use a Soda Keg (Cornelius) or one of the new [drool] Blichmann Ferminators [/drool] which will allow you to carbonate in the secondary, just like the pros do.

Speaking of that, there are some bottles that I adore for reuse, the primary being the Erdinger 12oz bottles. They are very heavy glass and can take a lot of abuse.

Good Beer!
Follow 3 Dog Brewery on Facebook

I am a Homebrewer on YouTube --- Motorized Mill Station