Coleman extreme cooler - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Coleman extreme cooler

Old 10-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
EricCSU
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Austin, TX
Liked 62 Times on 32 Posts

I am shopping for a cooler to use as a MLT. I plan on using a SS braid and batch sparging. Has anyone ever used this cooler? It has very high reviews for "staying cold." One would think that it would hold warmth for a mash as well. I will probably need to go to the store and make sure fly that the SS braid will work for this cooler as well. Is there anything else I should check in the store to make sure that this will work well?

I have heard that the SS braid needs to be on the very bottom of the cooler so that that there isn't wort below it during lautering. I feel like this would be crucial for fly sparging but not necessarily true for batch sparging...what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart

Old 10-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
hamiltont
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I have one & it works fine. 60 minute mash drops 1-2 degrees F. I wrap it with towels for added insulation. $38.?? at our local wally world.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Big10Seaner

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Schaumburg
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

That's what I have, except mine has wheels and I use a copper manifold. I would highly recommend it as a mash tun.
On tap: Some Sort of IPA, Cherry Cider
Bottled: Belgian Sour (1st place winner Binny's Chicago Comp)

Old 10-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
EricCSU
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Austin, TX

Thanks guys! I did a little more research and change my search terms and found a good thread to look at as well. I think I will definitely get this one. Huge cooler for super cheap.

Eric

Hop Substitution Chart

Old 10-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
XXguy

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Southeastern PA
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I've got the same one - but with a built in radio

It works well & I also do batch sparging with a braid. It does keep mash temps for 60-90 mins. within 1 degree in my experience. My braid just lays loose on the bottom. There is a slight trough built into it for the drain, but I just tip my one end up with a 2x4 to tilt the cooler when draining.

Mine has warped a little bit from heat, but it still works, just a little tap or two to close the lid down tight.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
hamiltont
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Somewhere in the middle of Nebraska
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

If you want to save some $$ on the build you can skip the ball valve and just use tubing that fits tightly in the drain and a PEX valve (~$2.00), or whatever valve you can find.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Munsoned

Recipes 

Mar 2009
DC Metro
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the same one too. Most I've ever lost was 1*F in an hour, then again I've only been using it in summer months so far.

I'd also note that I dropped it a story and a half (empty) from the railing on my deck to a brick patio below. The lid hinges busted, so the lid flew off, but the rest of the cooler didn't even show a dent.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
EricCSU
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
If you want to save some $$ on the build you can skip the ball valve and just use tubing that fits tightly in the drain and a PEX valve (~$2.00), or whatever valve you can find.
Thanks for the tip!

Hop Substitution Chart

Old 10-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #9
EricCSU
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Austin, TX

Guys, I have to admit I commited a cardinal HBT sin...I didn't research enough before I posted. However, everybody who gave input actually provided new info from everything I found after further research. You guys rock!

Eric

Hop Substitution Chart

Old 10-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
VolFan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a 34 quart coleman extreme, works great for 5 gal batches. Holds temp well, within 1-2F after an hour.