Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I keg my brew without CO2?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
EinBierBitte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I keg my brew without CO2?

I just got my kegging kit and I have a couple brews ready to put in there but I havnt gotten the CO2 bottle filled. I was going to put the beer into the kegs and get the bottle filled tomorrow to force carb (im going to naturally carb the next batch though. Just had to get the pipeline going.) Is this a good idea or should I just wait? I really just want to free up my fermenters for the next 2 batches.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if you're gonna get the co2 tomorrow just relax and wait.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
EinBierBitte
Recipes 

Man I just hate postponing a brew day!! Well maybe I can wait. Maybe.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Jesus it's only a day. Just wait, then you can fill, bleed and store.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
GregT
Recipes 

I recommend putting them in the kegs and putting them in your kegerator so they will be cold when you put the CO2 to it. I wouldn't imagine that the oxygen in the headspace would hurt anything until tomorrow.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Without Co2 you have no way to positively seal the keg. The CO2 pressure from inside seats the seals and puts pressure on them to make them airtight. You'd be dealing with oxygen in the keg without the CO2 to flush the O2 out and seal it up.

If you are in a hurry, better to wait till you get the CO2 and force carb the beer a bit to get it up and running quicker.

+1 to pre-chilling the beer.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

to be honest if you are getting the tank filled tomorrow just keg it. a litttttle bit of oxygen exposed ofr less than 24 hours is not gonna kill your beer.

all up to you abouut taking your chances. if it was a very old batch of imperial ipa or something expensive I wouldnt do it. if it was under 20 bucks it wont hurt

Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
EinBierBitte
Recipes 

OK.. well I'm going to wait. Takin WildWest's advice. I looked at his avatar and just felt I could trust him.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Wait for the CO2.

you have a purge the kegs with CO2 to get the O2 out. The head space really is not a big problem its when you are filling the keg and the keg is full of air, the agitation from the filling the keg will get O2 into the beer, this will lead to oxidation and off flavors in the beer over time.

Packaging is one of the most important parts of the brewing process, but often the most neglected.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #10
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Why not carb it naturally, you still have to wait till it's conditioned anyway. Also I've not had any problems sealing the kegs WITHOUT co2, Just rack it in with your priming sugar and close it up, maybe turn it upside down and make sure it doesn't leak, assuming you don't have any huge gash or cracks in your orings, etc. In a day or so, pull the relief a tad to purge the o2.