Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 3 gallon? 4 gallon?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
hopdawg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default 3 gallon? 4 gallon?

Does anyone ever trim their batch sizes down to 3 or 4 gallons?
The reason I ask is that up until now I been brewing 5g batches because .....ah well.....thats what it looks like you're suppose to do.
I like variety and usually get bored with a beer half way through the keg. I have started bottling a portion of the batch leaving 4 gallons in the keg, but my collection is growing faster than I can consume them.
Also it seems to me that a 3 or a 4 gallon batch would eliminate my need for a yeast starter in most cases.
Thoughts?

Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5797 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 80

If I ever do a small batch it's a 1 gallon. Makes for a nice 12 pack of an experimental beer.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
hamiltont
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I understand your question but I went the other way, from 5 gallon batches to 10. I figured it's about the same amount of work for twice the beer. Sometimes I'll split a batch & do something different with each 5. Maybe you just need more kegs/faucets for more variety?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
hopdawg
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I bet there's a bunch of stove top brewers that do smaller batches.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wish I had your problems....I'm starting to wish I could do more than 10 gallon batches.....and I've been brewing every single weekend, and some midday quickies, since starting this hobby.

Edit: Didn't brew on my anniversary weekend...but I damn sure brewed the monday after.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
I understand your question but I went the other way, from 5 gallon batches to 10. I figured it's about the same amount of work for twice the beer. Sometimes I'll split a batch & do something different with each 5. Maybe you just need more kegs/faucets for more variety?
I did the same.

to the op get a bigger kegerator maybe?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
Lcasanova

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
...I figured it's about the same amount of work for twice the beer. Sometimes I'll split a batch & do something different with each 5...
I like this here, do a 5 gallon base and split into 5 one gallons...they did something on Basic Brewing Radio like this with different peppers. To keep it simple you could just split in half and try something different with it...

My 1 gallon test batches usually go in to a 1 gallon jug at .75 gallons, at the end of the day I should get a 6-pack...

Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5939 Times on 4234 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

You could definitely do that. The easiest way, in my opinion, is to just do 2.5 gallon batches.. That way, you could just cut everything in half (except for yeast) and use any recipe you wanted. You could even buy a kit, but only use 1/2 the ingredients and then freeze the leftovers so you could make it again in 6 months if you want.

They sell 3 gallon carboys and kegs, too, if you really wanted to downsize.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Whut
Mmmm, beer
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1703 Times on 1592 Posts
Likes Given: 8651

Quote:
Originally Posted by faststage1 View Post
but my collection is growing faster than I can consume them. Thoughts?
Yeah, I have a thought and can help you with your issue. Just send them to me and I'll drink them for you. Problem solved.

Seriouslly, you could do what you're suggesting but I don't. I brew 10gal batches and almost always have two different beers on tap.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
GregT
Recipes 

I hope this isn't heresy here, but you could get those Mr Beer kegs from their website for $10 to use for two gallon batches. I've split five gallon batches between them. They actually are designed for just over two gallons, so the recipes come out a bit strong. (I go over the 8.5 quart mark though.)