Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Flooring for Finished basement

Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #31
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4745 Times on 4636 Posts
Likes Given: 2676

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeauchamp View Post
Also, if you have a sump pump, I would suggest a battery backup system. It is pretty cheap insurance if you would loose power during a rain storm.

If you're finishing your basement you may also have a sewage pit to consider if you have anything other than your bathroom flowing into it (which you can generally avoid using during an outage)

Also, there are battery-free sump back-ups out there that work off water pressure from your water supply. Holy cow does that save a lot of time and money if you have to replace any parts of the battery backup (and the batteries need to be replaced every 2 years or so).

http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductB...x?ProductID=65

Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #32
oceanselv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Here in North Carolina I don't have a basement. However, when I lived in Chicago I did. I went one step past a sub floor. I laid down pressure treated 2x4's's every 12 inches on center. On top of that I laid down a sub floor and then a combination of tile and carpet with padding. I used the carpeting in the kids play area and the tile in the bar and pool room. Using the 2x4's kept the floor warmer during the winter. I also had 8 1/2' ceilings before I finished the basement.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #33
oceanselv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
If you're finishing your basement you may also have a sewage pit to consider if you have anything other than your bathroom flowing into it (which you can generally avoid using during an outage)

Also, there are battery-free sump back-ups out there that work off water pressure from your water supply. Holy cow does that save a lot of time and money if you have to replace any parts of the battery backup (and the batteries need to be replaced every 2 years or so).

http://www.zoellerpumps.com/ProductB...x?ProductID=65
I had a similar one when I lived in the Chicago area. You have to be on city water for it to work. If you are on a private well, the well pump shuts off when the power goes out and you won't have water pressure to run the back up.