Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Rice Hulls... HOW TO USE??

Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Rice Hulls... HOW TO USE??

Okay, so I am going to start using rice hulls. Although my system does not get stuck often, when it does, it makes life hard when using a system that lives on being able to recirc.

So, I am going to start using some rice hulls so that I can whack the valves open and let it scream.

Question, how many hulls would I need to let a typical 10lb mash flow nice and free?

Wouldnt I have to add these to my "grain" bill in ProMash so that I can account for the thermal mass so that I can get the correct strike temp?

Along those same lines... wouldnt I have to account for thier water absorption?

Just making sure. I have created Rice Hulls as an ingredient in ProMash so that I can add them to the grain bill so that they can be accounted for in the strike temp, strike volume and water absorption.... RIGHT?

Old 10-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

You won't need more than 8 ounces for that grainbill. I always soak and rinse them prior to use. Then you don't have to worry about absorbtion. I don't recirculate so take that into account for my information although I can't see why it would to terribly different.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1247 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 2399

I add 1/2 lb. in the grist, and put it in BeerSmith, which makes the necessary adjustments.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just tossed a generous handful, probably a quarter pound, into my American wheat/rye six gallon batch. Worked like a charm.

Pre-soaking is a good idea. I didn't think of it at the time.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

I take a handful or two and add them to my grain then sort of hand toss them like a salad. The guys who host Craftbrewer Radio out of Australia lay it as a filter bed on top of the false bottom of their herms though...I don't quite get what their purpose doing it is...I have always thought of rice hulls like bran in our colon....it keeps everything loose.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-28-2009, 12:58 AM   #6
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 222

I used 1/2 lb of hulls when I made a few batches of Hefe with no sticking issues at all, flowed like a pale ale, I soaked the hulls in the hottest tap water I could get out of my faucet, this did two things, presoaked them so I would not lose volume due to absorbtion, and two it brought the temp up to negate any thermal absorbtion as well. I soaked them for a half hour and added them from a strainer to the mash just before doughing in. this has kept my target temps inline with calculated so far.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
The Pol
Recipes 

So, it makes sense to account for thermal mass and absorption. Neither will be great with 8oz in a grist.

Today my Pils would recirc for 20 mins, then stick. Mixed the bed... recirc for 20 minutes, then stick... dont know why. Never had this problem before on my system, but I cannot tolerate it.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #8
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I rinse mine in a colander with hot water before chucking them in. You'd be surprised how much dust is on them, then no adjustments necessary.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Okay, so I am going to start using rice hulls. Although my system does not get stuck often, when it does, it makes life hard when using a system that lives on being able to recirc.

So, I am going to start using some rice hulls so that I can whack the valves open and let it scream.

Question, how many hulls would I need to let a typical 10lb mash flow nice and free?

Wouldnt I have to add these to my "grain" bill in ProMash so that I can account for the thermal mass so that I can get the correct strike temp?

Along those same lines... wouldnt I have to account for thier water absorption?

Just making sure. I have created Rice Hulls as an ingredient in ProMash so that I can add them to the grain bill so that they can be accounted for in the strike temp, strike volume and water absorption.... RIGHT?
Nice to see that even one of the "pros" on HBT looking for advice. I've gotten a lot of good tips from you, Pol. I used 8oz of rice hulls in a recent Oatmeal Stout and Bier Muncher's Wit, and I like the results. Like Revvy said, keeps the mash nice and loose. I wetted mine good before adding to the mash to compensate for absorption, but honestly they didn't take on much water, and I doubt they took away too much heat. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:23 AM   #10
The Pol
Recipes 

I plan to brew another lager in a couple weeks... some HBTers were nice enough to send me some rice hulls today after witnessing my issue during my brewcast.

It really baffles me... NEVER had this problem before and on my MO based O-Fest and now this Pils based pilsner, I am having this sticking issue.

I really want to be able to flow at 2-3qts per minute if at all possible.

My crush was at .035", which is really reasonable.