Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Malolactic Cultures

Old 10-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
mikejamesnelson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Malolactic Cultures

I was wondering if anybody uses the wyeast Malolactic Cultures in their cider, and what the results were. In a few of the ciders I have made, it seems that they turned out kind of acidic ( gives me heart burn) and im wondering if Malolactic Cultures will mellow it out?

Old 10-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use mlf culture, not wyeast, and it def. reduces the sourness. if you ferment dry it seems to help make it drink well sooner. However

It does tend to be a bit expensive. I need it anyway for my red wines so its not a problem.

It doesn't keep as well as yeast so make sure you use a good supplier and put it straight in the freezer, and follow instructions to rehydrate. Most seem to think that the end of primary is the time to pitch, you want a ph above 3.3.

It will raise the pH .2 - .4 so may reduce the keeping qualities if your pH is already high.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have used them, but my cider's are all still in the secondaries. The "tasting" leftovers from racking proved to be real dry, but not puckery.
Yes, they are expensive too. I had several 5 gallon batches going, so I made the plunge and bought them. I used the Wyeast cultures, and I even pitched a second batch on the lees from an earlier batched. Both ciders were racked at the same time. Time will tell.

Primary - Surly Furious clone, Kolsch

Secondary - Hofbrauhaus Lager

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine