Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Wheat Wine - Comments needed

Old 10-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2920 Times on 2852 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Default Wheat Wine - Comments needed

Back at the beginning of September I stopped in at the Rogue Brewery in Newport and sampled some of their wheat wine. As of yet it is not on the website so I have no specs to go from.

I contacted one of the brewers at Rogue who suggested I check with Tom Fries on his recipe which is apparently “pretty darn tooting”.

He suggested the following:

Batch Size (Gal): 3.50 Wort Size (Gal): 3.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 13.50
Anticipated OG: 1.101 Plato: 24.0
Anticipated SRM: 9.2
Anticipated IBU: 85.5
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
44.4 6.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
48.1 6.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
7.4 1.00 lbs. Honey Malt Canada 1.030 18

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.25 oz. Galena Pellet 13.00 68.8 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 14.8 30 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 1.9 5 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 13.50
Water Qts: 17.95 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 4.49 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.33 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 45

Comments on original recipe? I'm thinking about subbing unmalted wheat and doing a 45 minute to hour long protein rest at 120. Need to build that steam manifold.

It'll likely be a couple weeks before I can brew this but I'm pretty committed to doing so. I welcome any comments or suggestions.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 10-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

You'll get more flavor from the malted wheat than flaked wheat. Since this is a beverage that's all about the wheat, I wouldn't reduce the wheat character by switching to flaked wheat.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 10-28-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkling View Post
You'll get more flavor from the malted wheat than flaked wheat. Since this is a beverage that's all about the wheat, I wouldn't reduce the wheat character by switching to flaked wheat.
I'll preface this reply with an apology for sounding like an arrogant ass. It's been a long day (make that month) and, frankly, I'm an arrogant ass.

I said unmalted wheat (whole kernels which will be crushed on brewday), not flaked wheat. I have an adjustable stone flour mill which I'll run the wheat grist through.

My understanding is this:
Unmalted wheat gives more flavor than malted wheat but can be a bit of a bastard to brew with because unmalted wheat lacks diastatic power. Having enough barley in the mix should provide the diastatic enzymes to convert the starches in both the barley and the unmalted wheat into fermentable sugars. A protein rest is needed with unmalted wheat - more so than with malted wheat. The length of the protein rest is a compromise - longer and you get a clearer, more workable mash - shorter and you get more flavor but a cloudier, stickier mash. I'll choose on brewday somewhere between 45 and 60 minutes.

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey

Old 10-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Anyone who's brewed with or read up on unmalted wheat want to comment?

Still looking for comments on the general recipe as well. Will be attempting this one of the next couple weekends.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post

I said unmalted wheat (whole kernels which will be crushed on brewday), not flaked wheat. I have an adjustable stone flour mill which I'll run the wheat grist through.
Unmalted wheat and flaked wheat are going to be nearly indistinguishable as far as flavor contributions go in beer. The flaked wheat is just whole kernels of unmalted wheat that have been put through hot rollers. The only great benefit this has for brewers is that it prevents you from have to do a cereal mash before and separate from your usual brewing mash.

Most brewers use small amounts of flaked or unmalted wheat to help with head retention. The only beer that I know of that is typically brewed with large proportions of flaked or unmalted wheat is a Belgian Witbier. If you like the idea of a witbier brought up to imperial strength, without the spices or Belgian yeast and an English yeast, then go for it and enjoy.

You're basing your recipe upon Rogue's and Tom Fries. They suggested you go with wheat malt. That's certainly what I would do. I stand by my previous comment that I think you'll get better flavor out of malted than unmalted wheat -- but I'd rather have a wheatwine that is like a souped up weizen than a souped up wit. But hey, it's your beer. Either way, let us know how it turns out.

Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel