Killing bugs? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Killing bugs?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
TK PK
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

I just topped up my 65G lambic... and I was wondering what I had to do to the carboy, its glass. so bleach for a while, then it will be fine? bleach, rinse bleach?

what about the funnel? sour only funnel? this is the reason i haven't kegged my Berlier yet.... need to figure out how to clean the stuff!

thanks

claphamsa on untappd

Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #2

Plastic needs to be used for sour beers only. Glass and SS can be boiled or bleached.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #3

Provided you keep the plastic in good condition (scratch free), you can use them interchangeably between batches without fear of cross-contamination. I've been doing just that and never had an issue with infection that wasn't purposeful.

The bugs are resilient, but not indestructible. A weak bleach solution will do the trick.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Orangevango
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

They can help.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts

I would do PBW and StarSan for the glass. You could use the plastic for sour only, but it will probably be OK.

Remember, your grain and everything thing pre-boil is covered in bugs. Practice good cleaning and sanitizing routine and you will be OK.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
TK PK
Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Provided you keep the plastic in good condition (scratch free), you can use them interchangeably between batches without fear of cross-contamination. I've been doing just that and never had an issue with infection that wasn't purposeful.

The bugs are resilient, but not indestructible. A weak bleach solution will do the trick.
thats what i figued... I dont use the funnel very often! I might just get another one...

now when I rack my BW into the keg, I might have to have a sour racking cain!

claphamsa on untappd

Old 10-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Munsoned
Recipes 

Mar 2009
DC Metro
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a separate cane and tubing for my sours. (They're both so cheap, why not?)

I also have a better bottle devoted to sour beers only, although I'm not sure that's really needed. Again, I have a sufficient number of carboys that I don't really NEED to use that one for regular beers, so I figured I'd just keep it separated. I've marked all of my "special" equipment with red electrical tape so that I can remember which is which.

Even with my dedicated BB, my sanitation plan for it is: Oxyclean for a day or two (for general "cleaning"), then Iodophor for a day or two, then StarSan. For normal beers I'll skip the Iodophor step. I refuse to let bleach anywhere near my brewery simply because I have a very sensitive nose to the smell of it.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
then Iodophor for a day or two
If it's red, it's dead.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #9
Munsoned