Guinness -- Draught vs Extra Stout - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Guinness -- Draught vs Extra Stout

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer ?
Draught 57 52.29%
Extra Stout 52 47.71%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
mc_eric
Recipes 

May 2009
Lansing, Michigan
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglygoat View Post
i like the guinness that comes in the 22 oz bombers. i think that's the extra. i will drink the draught off a tap, but don't care for the cans or bottles with the widgets in it.
Yup, that's the extra stout.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Hoover, Alabama USA, Alabama
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts

I think that the Draught is better, not just because of the creamy-nitro head - its better because it has a sort of "sour" taste that the Extra Stout doesn't. The Extra Stout is nothing special at all, I could make beer that good.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts

I voted draught. And I really hope you aren't talking about out of a can or bottle because both of those are nasty IMO. It just doesn't work for me.

A good pour of Guinness is a great beer IMO. Light, flavorful, great mouthfeel, dry finish. It is a fantastic drink. Extra stout and extra foreign stout have more to them but so do a lot of other beers. Guinness draught is much more unique than the extra stout. The foreign export is special, but list the pubs you've seen it in..... I didn't think so.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 AM   #14
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Local Mind Expander of Cleveland, OH
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I can't stand either!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Just curious..... what distinguishes something between General chat and DRMM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 AM   #16
Dalarast

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Virginia beach
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Draught off the tap not in bottles... but remember a good Irish Car Bomb uses the bombers so if you mix stout with some irish cream and some fine scotch my vote would change

Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 AM   #17
mattmcl

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Erie, CO
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I want to know which is better and why.
Well that's like asking which is better, the left one or the right one?

They're both my favorite commercial beers, for different reasons. Extra Stout was the first beer I ever got drunk on, and was all that was available for a while. Lots and lots of very fond memories for me in every bottle. Draught though is liquid velvet.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:14 AM   #18
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Oct 2004
Menomonee Falls WI
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

The Extra Stout. It has more flavor and I find it has that twang at the end that guinness is known for.

I agree that the Forgein Extra Stout is the best of the bunch. In fact it's the best stout I've ever had. Too bad they don't import it to the US.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #19
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5024 Times on 3391 Posts

I haven't had either enough to decide, and I'm not sure I've ever had Extra Stout.

I do like to collect whichever one has the plastic labels. They peel right off and have a sexay shape! Good for refilling with my homebrew!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
chuggs
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Jupiter, FL
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

First off...what bar is that?? I like the uniform!!!

I like the Draught better...but you gotta get it fresh!

The advice to those visiting Ireland is to buy the same Irish Stout the locals drink. That way, for sure you know it's fresh!! If you buy the stuff nobody else drinks...then there is a likely chance you'll be buying some stale beer.

---------

It's amazing how many Guinness choice's there are. I dropped into an O'Neils pub in London and ordered a Guinness...the bartender asked, "Will that be Regular, Red or Extra Cold?" They have Guinness Red over there...it's got more Toasted Barley instead of as much Roasted Barley... Supposed to win over the ladies. I like the regular stuff best myself.