Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 50+ hrs..NO Krausen, NO Gravity drop...

Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
duffman2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 50+ hrs..NO Krausen, NO Gravity drop...

Alright guys, everyone always says to wait for the gravity drop before worrying about repitching but it's been 60 hrs as of this morning and I have had no gravity drop per my hydrometer. I have no krausen and absolutely no sign of fermentation.

......So, when is it time to repitch?? How do I do this? Do I get the same exact yeast I used b4 (Windsor Ale Dry Yeast)?? Or do I wait? Please help!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 61

What was the temp. of the wort when you added your first pack of yeast?And what is the temp of it now?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

And the answer is found in the title of the sticky on this very subject; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/...

50 hours is not over 72 is it? so relaxation is in order....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It can take upwards of three days for fermentation to really begin. Relax, wait another day.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
jds

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

If you have access to more of the same Windsor yeast go ahead and get some, so it's available if you need it. If you can't find Windsor, most neutral ale yeasts would work fine as well. I recommend Safale US-05.

At 60 hours, I'd be thinking about repitching. At 72, I'd be dumping fresh yeast.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And the answer is found in the title of the sticky on this very subject; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ferm...e-signs-43635/...

50 hours is not over 72 is it? so relaxation is in order....
Well, I was actually at 60 hrs as of 6 am this morning and since I'll be here at work until 7 pm, I was wondering if I should send the SWMBO the the Beer Store to get me some yeast to pitch tonight, which will be at 72 hrs. I didn't want to be stranded without some if it needed to be done and I also needed your thoughts on how to go about doing this.

Temp at time of first yeast pitch was room temp (78 F) and it has been sitting at 65 F to 68 F since then. Right now it is around 68 F. I haven't had to repitch yet, so I definitely wanted to make sure I did this right!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Also, when dumping my original yeast I had rehydrated it and I had no sign of it being active at that time. There was No foam on the top. It just looked like creamy water. So, it may have been dead already when I got it.

If I have to repitch, do I need to rehydrate again? Or do I just dump in the bucket? Do I reaerate by stirring the crap out of it and shaking the bucket??

Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
If I have to repitch, do I need to rehydrate again? Or do I just dump in the bucket? Do I reaerate by stirring the crap out of it and shaking the bucket??
You don't NEED to rehydrate. Lots of people here who use dry yeast just dump it straight in. I've done three batches so far with just sprinkling the dry yeast on top of the wort and have had no problems with fermentation.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I would pick up some more yeast. It is always handy to have some backup just in case anyway. At 60 hours I would be getting a bit nervous.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
duffman2
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
I would pick up some more yeast. It is always handy to have some backup just in case anyway. At 60 hours I would be getting a bit nervous.
Being my first time going this long w/o any hydrometer change, I am definitely a bit nervous. And since I have to wait until about 8 pm to get home tonight, I want to get my ducks in a row and have some yeast ready. So, I've already got some coming to me by the time I get home.

I think I already stated earlier that when I first pitched the yeast I rehydrated it, and after letting it get up to pitching temp there was no foam or sign of activity. So I was curious to see how fermentation would go. But once again, do I need to re-aerate if I dump my new yeast in tonight? Or just sprinkle it on top and let it go?