Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Columbus hops (FFF Arctic Panzer Wolf DIPA)

Old 10-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
beerocd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Columbus hops (FFF Arctic Panzer Wolf DIPA)

So bottom line question I have is about the hops. Could care less about the recipe in total. I had a snifter of this DIPA tonight, and it's got this musty, earthy, mushroomy kinda aroma to it. I asked the bartender and he's pretty sure there's centennials in there - and I got the grapefruit coming thru but the other aromas pretty well detracted from the brew. (IMO) Could columbus give this flavor, or fuggles, or ??? What hops could/would give this aroma/flavor?

I asked the ECCENTRIC owner, who claimed to be the gardener and was quite interesting, but had no answer for me.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think fuggles is very earthy, columbus is piney and citrusy

Old 10-26-2009, 02:58 AM   #3
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, fuggles or EKG is what I guessed. Found one description of the beer with a guy guessing Columbus. I don't know what happens to these flavors when you put in enough to get 100 IBU. The owner was pretty funny - but the hops are a secret apparantly.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:03 AM   #4
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The nose is simcoe through and through

Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #5
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cool thanks - never used simcoe. Now I probably never will.