Hope I like iodine in my beer. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hope I like iodine in my beer.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #1
Apr 2009
Rochester, NY
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Okay, so I'm making a honey blonde ale. All is good, I hit over target gravity but that's okay, I pour 2.5 gallons of iodophor solution into the fermenter to sanitize it, and while it's chilling I stretch a paint strainer over the bucket to strain out the hops. I pour the cold wort in, then see the bucket is filling up way quicker than it should. Yes, I forgot to dump out the iodophor.

Crap. Is there anything I can do here? If I boil it back down from 7.5 gallons to 5, will that cook out the iodine? Or will it still be undrinkable either way? It was a cheap brew at least, but that amount of time sunk into mashing and boiling makes me cry if I have to throw it all away.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
Oct 2008
Philly, PA
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I did this exact thing on the only batch I have ever done out of close to 300 batches that had to be dumped. There was always a harshness to it.

I almost never say this but you might just want to cut your losses in time and just dump it and move on.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Flocculation Nation
Sep 2009
Los Osos, CA
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts

Some might say otherwise, but I totally go with dontman on this one. Definitely one of the veeeeery few times that you would dump a batch. Have a brew (or 5) and let 'er go.
Primary: nada
Secondary: emptyness
Bottled/Fridge: Sierra Nevada Celebration
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: The Abyss, Firestone 19th Anniversary Ale
Kegerator: sanitizer!
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 10-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
Mar 2009
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I would toss it, unless of course you have nightmares about growing a humongous goiter that turns into another head and then eats the rest of your body.
Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reason: typo

AmsterdamBrew Likes This 
Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Dec 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hell dont listen to these guys send it over to me
"If marriage didn't exist, would you invent it?" -Doug Stanhope

turkeydinner Likes This 
Old 10-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Apr 2009
Rochester, NY
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I took the advice and threw in the towel: after bringing it to a boil again then cooling it, still smelled like iodine. So I'll just be more careful in the future and maybe make up a quick extract batch this week or something to take its place if I get a chance.

HappyC73 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Nov 2005
Orlando, FL
Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Poor beer never had a chance!! Sorry to hear about the misfortune. You could have named it IBA.....Iodine Blonde Ale!
My Cigar Forum www.cigarhops.com
PM me for access.

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

People Like This 
Old 10-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
Vendor and Brewer
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1741 Times on 1104 Posts

That'll teach ya for using more sanitizer than necessary. Then again, it probably wouldn't have been much better with only a gallon of iodaphor in there.
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
Corny Keg Dry Hop Canisters $26.50 for limited time
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
For the love of beer!
Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

Sorry it's lost.

Iodine is a no rinse cleaner and you only need a couple of litres at the most for a carboy.

Iodine is a poison if you drink to much,

Outlook (Prognosis)

How well a patient does depends on the amount of poison swallowed and how quickly treatment was received. The faster a patient gets medical help, the better the chance for recovery.
Esophageal stricture is a possible complication. Death is possible, though unlikely.

from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/002658.htm
Have a beer on me.

Furynation Likes This 
Old 10-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Dec 2008
South Burlington, VT
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah...when half your volume is poison....you can boil the snot out of it and still have half poisonous brew.
  • Fermenting: Cherry Stout
  • On Tap: Town Hall Hope & King Scotch Ale, Red Hook ESB

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Pommy Likes This