Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > FG 1.030, still need to add priming sugar?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
IHateMayonnaise
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default FG 1.030, still need to add priming sugar?

Got an imperial IPA in the secondary with about 4 oz of leaf hops, been in there one week and will let it sit for one more. The OG was 1.115 and the FG before going to secondary was 1.030, doubt it's changed since then. Still get bubbles from the airlock every couple minutes or so.

Should I still add priming sugar when I bottle? If so how much? Since this is an imperial IPA I don't want it to be very carbonated..but some is of course important.

Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think you should add some mayonnaise

Old 10-24-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 456 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Let it sit for a while before you bottle. If you're still bubbling, you're still fermenting, and a beer that big is going to want to age a little while before drinking anyway. Give it a couple weeks and check the gravity again, if you're trying to guess how much fermentation it still has to do and how much sugar you have to add, you're just begging for either flat beer or bottle bombs. Let it finish, then add the proper amount of priming sugar and you'll be golden.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 10-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

OG that high, i would leave in primary for 3 weeks before even taking a reading. Secondary for a t least a month. Then take readings 3 days in a row to see whats going on.

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
scinerd3000
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
OG that high, i would leave in primary for 3 weeks before even taking a reading. Secondary for a t least a month. Then take readings 3 days in a row to see whats going on.
agreed...this is a big beer and may take a while to dry out. Anything this large i would leave for a full month. How long did you leave this in primary? Pitching fresh yeast may help you out with drying this out a bit if it stalls...1.030 is too high for an IIPA

Old 10-25-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I agree with all the previous (except the thing about using mayonnaise) but no matter what your beer finishes at (even 1.030), assuming it's not stalled, you should add priming sugar because all the fermentable sugars have been used up and what is left are the unfermentable sugars. Without the priming sugar you'll end up with flat beer.

My Beer Cellar

Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #7
IHateMayonnaise
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I agree with all the previous (except the thing about using mayonnaise) but no matter what your beer finishes at (even 1.030), assuming it's not stalled, you should add priming sugar because all the fermentable sugars have been used up and what is left are the unfermentable sugars. Without the priming sugar you'll end up with flat beer.
Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!!

Old 10-25-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
JLem
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateMayonnaise View Post
Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!!
Just want to reiterate - you need to make sure that the beer is actually done fermenting before you bottle. (just wanted to make sure I can't be held accountable for any bottle bombs)

My Beer Cellar