Gluten free "wit" - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten free "wit"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
philrose
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,410
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts





With thanks/apologies to HBT'r driftlessbrewer

We have some visitors coming to thanksgiving who don't eat gluten. After poking around the Gluten free brewer's group I found this recipe about a month ago. Its sat in bottles for about three weeks. Still a little young. I'll serve this beer. I've drank a couple on my own over the last week or so and its generally pretty good.


Pros-
Simple to make, Syrup to glass in 3 weeks, fermented like a champ, great body from the malto-dextrin, flavor is generally beer-like, good recipe for the T-58 as it contributed much of the flavor.

Cons-
Nearly zero head retention, weak head formation, has a bit of the sweet and sour taste associated with sorghum, orange peel seems like its hurting more than helping, not very wit-like (but thats not a big deal to me)


What I'm really looking forward to is just handing it to a beer judge and getting some feedback.

Heres the original recipe found in the GF group posts....

Quote:
0.5 lb Flaked corn
6.0 lb White Sorghum Syrup
0.25 lb Dark candi sugar
1.00 oz Brewer's Gold (7.4%) (60 min)
1.00 oz Spalter (4.0%) (15 min)
0.25 tsp Irish moss (10 min)
8.00 oz Malto-dextrin (5 min)
0.75 oz Coriander seeds (5 min)
0.75 oz Orange peel bitter (5 min)
15 Black pepper corns (0 min)
1 pkg SafBrew Specialty Ale (T-58)

For the flaked corn: Steep in 1.5 gallons of water (in brew pot) at 158 F for 30 minutes. Sparge with 0.5 gallons of 180 F water.

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.015 (4.3% alcohol)

Additional coriander and pepper corns were added to the secondary.
__________________
In process-
Kegged-
Last bit of Sparkling Mead
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer


 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 980
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


Nice to see someone else tried this, I've been looking at a wit next and I was considering that one...I think I have another recipe around here somehwere or I'll just adapt it from another one, but thanks for the insight. Definitely keep us posted on your family's comments.

I have family coming in for Thanksgiving this year and it will be the first gluten-free Thanksgiving I'm having. I think I'll try to get together my "menu" and recipies and post them somewhere on here for anyone that's interested!
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,593
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts


I suspect the recipe pre-dates their wheat yeast. Might be interesting to compare the two.

Quote:
Safbrew WB-06
A specialty yeast selected for wheat beer fermentations. The yeast produces subtle ester and phenol flavor notes typical of wheat beers. The choice of Wheat or Weizen bier fans. Available in 11.5g sachets.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
philrose
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,410
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts


Yeast seems to be the best flavor contributer in this beer, I've been drinking the first glass of a bomber poured properly and the second glass "roused"
__________________
In process-
Kegged-
Last bit of Sparkling Mead
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 97
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


You should also check that your maltodextrin is gluten free, I now the Coopers range in Australia is not guaranteed to be GF as it can come from either wheat or corn, or a mix.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
philrose
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,410
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by celiacsurvivor View Post
You should also check that your maltodextrin is gluten free, I now the Coopers range in Australia is not guaranteed to be GF as it can come from either wheat or corn, or a mix.
ruh roh...

Its from northernbrewer.com....I think it was handled in bulk and packed by the staff there.

Sending an email now...
__________________
In process-
Kegged-
Last bit of Sparkling Mead
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Androshen
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Rochester, NY
Posts: 116

From http://glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php :

Maltodextrin
Maltodextrin is gluten free. It can be made from a variety of starches, including corn, potato, rice or wheat. However the source does not matter because maltodextrin is such a highly processed ingredient that the protein is removed, rendering it gluten free. If wheat is used to make maltodextrin, "wheat" will be appear on the label. Even in this case, the maltodextrin would be gluten free.


From http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/fa...ltodextrin.htm :

In the United States, maltodextrin is usually made from rice, corn, or potato. In Europe, maltodextrin is frequently made from wheat.


From http://Celiac.com : Maltodextrin is prepared…by partial hydrolosis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes. (1) Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold in the USA, must be made from corn or potato. The ruled does NOT apply to vitamin or mineral supplements and medications….all maltodextrins in the USA are made from corn starch.
__________________
Whatever doesn't kill me ...... had better run alot faster than I can ....


 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 980
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Androshen View Post
From http://glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php :

Maltodextrin
Maltodextrin is gluten free. It can be made from a variety of starches, including corn, potato, rice or wheat. However the source does not matter because maltodextrin is such a highly processed ingredient that the protein is removed, rendering it gluten free. If wheat is used to make maltodextrin, "wheat" will be appear on the label. Even in this case, the maltodextrin would be gluten free.


From http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/fa...ltodextrin.htm :

In the United States, maltodextrin is usually made from rice, corn, or potato. In Europe, maltodextrin is frequently made from wheat.


From http://Celiac.com : Maltodextrin is prepared…by partial hydrolosis of corn starch or potato starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes. (1) Maltodextrin, when listed on food sold in the USA, must be made from corn or potato. The ruled does NOT apply to vitamin or mineral supplements and medications….all maltodextrins in the USA are made from corn starch.

Nice- I actually just emailed LD Carlson about theirs Sunday night...have yet to hear back...
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
philrose
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,410
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts


I think Fri, Oct 30, 2009 carlson is also the northern brewer supplier
__________________
In process-
Kegged-
Last bit of Sparkling Mead
Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
Soybomb
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
USA
Posts: 65
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
Nice- I actually just emailed LD Carlson about theirs Sunday night...have yet to hear back...
Heard anything back yet? I never even thought about checking into that.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"American" or "Imperial" Oatmeal Stout Recipe: Critiques please! cladinshadows Recipes/Ingredients 5 11-23-2015 11:14 PM
Please post a verified "decent" Gluten Free recipe? Cascadie Recipes/Ingredients 10 02-01-2011 05:12 PM
Got "Free" $$$ In Atlantic City!!! Battery_BreweryNJ Home Brewing Photo Forum 5 02-09-2009 02:55 AM


Forum Jump