Imperial Stout Gatos Locos Imperial Stout - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Imperial Stout Gatos Locos Imperial Stout

Old 07-07-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
Oct 2008

Brewed my own modified version of this last fall and still have some left (fortunately!)...aging away. I upped the recipe a bit and the yeast crapped out right at 12%!

I pitched the wort onto a 1762 cake that I used on a dark small beer (that also gave me an opportunity to get a good flavor profile for the yeast. I must say the dark fruit is definitely there and melds very nicely with dark brews.

I then aged my RIS on french oak (that had previously been in a red wine - I think I used a Cab). I reeeeally like this beer, but I'd probably skip the aging in red wine part for the oak chips as it detracts from the dark fruit flavor of the yeast. On second thought, I may skip the oak altogether next time and let the yeast do the talking.

thank you Saccharomyces for the recipe and the advice!

P.S. to those wanting to drink this this winter - Brew it now!

Old 07-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
May 2014
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

would this be a good base recipe for a mexican cake similar beer (this recipe with habaneros, cinnamin, cocoa nibs and vanilla beans added to seconday)?