Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > 1st Cider, approaching kegging time
Old 09-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 1st Cider, approaching kegging time

Decided to attempt a simple cider. I added a package of Nottingham's yeast to 5 gallons of cider. After a week or two, I steeped cherries & added them into the secondary fermentation. After a couple weeks, I transferred it to a tertiary fermentor, without the cherries.

During this last step I sampled and it was good. I liked it, but it was very dry, tasted more like wine than cider. I was hoping for a little sweeter taste. I plan on kegging and carbonating it. My question is "What now?"

The options are:
1) leave alone, and accept a dry cider (it does taste good, but not the flavor I was shooting for.)
2) try to sweeten it.

I'm leaning toward sweetening. If I attempt sweetening, would this work:
-Kill off the yeast with campden tablets (never used them before - so is it advisable? and if so, how much?),
-add unfermented cider (.5 to 1 gallon) when kegging,
-force carbonate.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
I prefer 23383
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Shold work fine, but I dont know how many tablet's you'll need. I never used them befor
Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke
"There are just two rules of governance in a free society: Mind your own business. Keep your hands to yourself."