Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Strisselspalt Hops

Old 10-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Sixbillionethans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Strisselspalt Hops

Wondering about other's impressions of Strisselspalt hops. Seems to be a little-used hop, but I'm thinking I like it. I can't find much info on it's usage.

I've used them in 2 beers now, and I'm trying to determine what contribution they've made to the aroma/flavor profile of the finished beer. The ingredients (variables) are confounded, so I'm wondering if others can share their observations.

Both beers (more in Beer 2) have a subtle but distinct/noticeable anise/herbal/dark fruit aroma and flavor. Strisselspalt is described as having anything from a lemony to a black current aroma. I haven't smelled black currents. When I tasted it in Beer 1, I figured it was the yeast, but now that same flavor/aroma is in Beer 2.

Questions:
- Have others noticed a significant contribution to aroma/flavor from Strisselspalt?
- These beers are my first 2 uses of Caravienne, so could that be contributing to this flavor?

Beer 1: La Fin du Monde Inspired Tripel
Grainbill: 63% Pils, 17% Flaked Wheat, 14% Cane Sugar, 7% Caravienne, 1% Aromatic.
Hops: Sterling (1.75oz, 60 min, 25 IBU), Styrian Goldings (1oz, 30 min, 6 IBU), Strisselspalt (1oz, 15 min, 4 IBU)
Yeast: WY3864PC, Unibroue

Beer 2: Saison
Grainbill: 53% Pils, 27% Flaked Wheat, 13% Cane Sugar, 7% Caravienne, 1% Aromatic.
Hops: Sterling (1oz, 60min, 16 IBU), Sterling (1oz, 40min, 14 IBU), Strisselspalt (1oz, 20min, 4 IBU), Strisselspalt (1oz, 5min, 1 IBU), Wet Cascade (3oz, dry)
Yeast: WY3711

Comments:
- The grainbill from Beer 2 was inspired by Beer 1 cuz I liked it.
- So both beers have a base of Pils with a high % of raw wheat.
- Both have Caravienne and some aromatic.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 78

IMO it is a soft noble hop with flavor more like Hallertau than Saaz, but I've never used it as single hop in a beer. I think it's the only hop in Kronenbourg 1664.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Brewer's Best sells an inexpensive kit called "full-bodied Weizenbier" which uses only French strisselspalt hops and a wheat malt liquid extract. I've brewed that a few times and its good. That might help you pin down your flavor profile without risking a lot of cash or effort.

For what its worth, I've been considering a SMASH with 2 row and those hops to really figure out what these hops are doing.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
duffmann808
Recipes 

I got a few pounds of dried Strisselspalt from a friend of the family, and have used some to hop a few different beers I made. Made a Belgian Half Wit which came out incredible, which used only the strisselspalt hops. Was wondering if I could use them to dry hop my Octoberfest Ale, or if that would give some kind of off flavor. Also, on a completely different subject, if I were to do this, I would likely dry hop in a brewing bucket...How long should I hop for, and would it be a big no-no to do the fermenting in a bottling bucket?

Thanks guys!