towel around brewpot - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > towel around brewpot
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 10-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #1
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2008
American Southwest
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My electric stove will bring 4.5 gallons of water to a simmer but not a rolling boil.
As it turns out, 4 gallon batches work well for my current situation.

I'm wondering if just taping a clean towel around the brew pot might make enough difference to get to a rolling boil. I know that some brewers use various types of more high-tech insulation. But I would rather use materials in my kitchen that I know are not toxic.

Fire hazard? Acceptable fire hazard with close attendance and a handy fire extinguisher? Since the brew pot is larger in diameter than the burner, I doubt accidental contact with the stove surface would ignite the towel.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
San Diego, CA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'd partially cover it with a lid to get a rolling boil, but not fully cover the pot. That's just a personal opinion. If you cover the pot fully you run the risk of a boilover, and possible DMS. And I'd avoid the towel. I'd think the Fire Department would agree with me.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:32 AM   #3
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

True, towels are non-toxic but they don't tasted good when burnt and added to wort. Kidding, kidding. It's hard to say without seeing your setup. I personally would not try this in a kitchen but if I were brewing outside it would be worth an experiment.

I would do a test run and feel how hot the air is up the side of your brew pot with your hand and thermometer. If not too hot then you could possibly try putting a towel on it partially up the brew kettle. Having said that, I still visualize it as not a good idea but that's my opinion.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
shek
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Long Beach, CA
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I do this in the kitchen. I wrap a towel around my brew pot but make sure that it is still at least about six inches from the bottom of the pot. If you use a white towel you can keep an eye on the bottom edge to see if it starts to brown; this is a good indicator of if there is a fire risk. Leaving the lid on until boiling and then leaving the lid cracked during the boil should also get a better boil, but if you have the lid on you might want to consider using fermcap or simethicone (gas-x, etc...) in the boil to prevent boilovers. I haven't determined the max I can boil on my gas range, but I have no problem boiling seven gallons using aluminum pots.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Los Osos, CA
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts

I know it sounds weird, but after 5 batches on an electric range, I can vouch for moving the kettle around the burner every few minutes.

I can't explain the science around it, and I'm (usually) pretty sober when I brew, so I know for a fact that heating different parts of the kettle gets a good rolling boil.
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: The Abyss, Firestone 19th Anniversary Ale
Kegerator: sanitizer!
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Behind You
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I don't know the exact thread, but someone on here insulated their brew pot with something to be able to do this. I can't recall what it was they used, but it was actually an insulator, not a towel. AFAIK, they have not set any fires. Search full stovetop boils, I bet it will come up.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Liked 1247 Times on 955 Posts

While not as good an insulator, I have simply wrapped the kettle w/ a few turns of aluminum foil and a piece of tape. Not a good as a towel, but it will help and won't catch fire. Roll up the foil and use it again if you like. Wrinkle the foil beforehand to capture some air next to the pot.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts

I can see that working fine.....just be careful, of course, of fire.

Another option is a "Heatstick"....I think you can build em for 20-30 bucks, and if your kitchen already has GFI outlets, (code, nowadays), you are good to go.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
yeoldebrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2008
American Southwest
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Many thanks for all the good advice. I think this may be worth a try as long as the bottom edge of the towel is kept at some distance from the heat source. You can be I will keep a fire extinguisher handy also.

A cheap brew pot and an electric stove is a less than optimum combination. Gotta work with what I have for now.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #10
Jersh
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Tampa, FL
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I usually cover about 1/2 of my kettle with a couple pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil, this helps give me a better boil, and I think it still lows for dissipation of DMS as well...