Should I rack again or wait or bottle? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Should I rack again or wait or bottle?

Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Oct 2009
Posts: 18

This is my first cider. Made from my own apples. I racked it last weekend after three weeks fermenting. It had a thick layer at the bottom. Yeast and particles from the apples.

Well, the cider tasted great! Dry, with the right ammount of sourness and bitterness, or what I imagine what would be right after some conditioning.

Unfortunately I got too much of the dead yeast etc while racking, so the layer on the bottom after racking is still quite thick.

So, should I just let it continue to sit in the carboy to condition it or rack it again before conditioning or bottle it now? There are also some particles floating around in the cider.

If noone here thinks different, my idea now is to wait for a week or two and then rack it and bottle it immediately.


Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Apr 2009
Richmond, VA
Posts: 691
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Don't get in a huge hurry. Secondaries will have usually have a thin layer of yeast at the bottom no matter how careful you are. It's the point of a secondary, to let the remaining suspended particles to preciptate out.

I'd let it sit in the secondary for a month or so just to make sure it's fully clarified, then bottle. There is no reason to be in a hurry, especially with cider since it typically becomes better with age.

Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
May 2008
Posts: 2,274
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I would wait, having that extra yeast may be a good thing in that it will provide a good population to clean up and make it everything taste the way it should be.
Personally, I have gotten use to the flash light inspection when it's dark. Just shine it through the carboy and look for bubbles and haze. Any bubbles and it's not ready to bottle.
Haze can vary depending on your juices, etc. But it gives you a good ideal of what will be coming out of the bottle.
Of course crash chilling, stabilizing, etc speeds up things. But I just like nice dry ciders that makes my spelling even worst than normal. -
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Reply With Quote
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Went to secondary to early, should I rack again and wait? Darkbrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 10-01-2014 05:02 PM
Should I rack to bottles or wait? Dark_Knight7096 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 03-01-2009 08:04 PM
Can I wait to rack it? chemist308 General Techniques 11 02-26-2008 02:01 PM
Rack it or wait? missing link General Techniques 16 01-13-2008 06:32 AM
Rack to secondary or wait out fermentation? 1fastdoc General Techniques 5 03-27-2007 05:36 AM

Forum Jump