Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > computer whizzes? come hear my problem! pc shutting itself off in safe mode.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
chainsawbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default computer whizzes? come hear my problem! pc shutting itself off in safe mode.

i did a reformat on my laptop like about 6 months ago, haven't really used it much, got it out today, it's working just fine, no issues at all. then i remembered, hey, i used to have a bunch of stuff on here before i formatted, so i went to my computer/c/documents and settings/ and found my old loging folder titled "brian". and i tried to open it, and got access denied. well i'm not completely computer illiterate, i remembered that i could log into safe mode, and change the ownership of the folder, and get all my stuff back.

so i reboot the computer, and go into safe mode, and then go to my computer/c/documents and settings/ and right click on my folder, go to change the ownership, (the folder has around 20 or so gig worth of stuff if that matters) and it starts doing it's thing where it's got the little window showing it scanning all the files, and then POOF, pc just shuts down. doesn't reboot or anything, just shuts off.

so i turned it back on, and went back into safe mode, and same thing again. then i turned it back on, went back into safe mode, and it shut itself off before i even got a chance to right click on the folder.

under normal mode, the computer works just fine. doesn't shut itself off, no issues at all. in safe mode only, it just keeps shutting itself off.

weird.

i don't get it.

it's a hp pavillion dv2000 laptop running xp

any ideas? why would it be doing that? is there another way to get to my files?

thanks

brian

my bar build

Old 10-21-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Are you not logged in as an Adminstrator when in normal mode? Administrator rights should grant you access to any file in the machine. Sometimes when you reload windows the My Document Folders gets overwritten. If you formatted all should be gone.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

type, "control userpasswords2" in run and click reset password and change it if you don't remember your old password. Then log in as admin and see what happens.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #4
jarrman00
Recipes 

How hot is the laptop when its shutting down? Sometimes these laptops overheat and shutdown. I sounds like its parsing many small files and using a lot of IO on the board, which can generate a ton of heat. If this is your problem, prop it up and let some air go through the intake fans.

Good Luck.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
bulletproof4age
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrman00 View Post
How hot is the laptop when its shutting down? Sometimes these laptops overheat and shutdown. I sounds like its parsing many small files and using a lot of IO on the board, which can generate a ton of heat. If this is your problem, prop it up and let some air go through the intake fans.

Good Luck.
A little off topic, but laptops should always be propped up, or at least on a hard surface. Can't tell you how many I've replaced because people left them on the carpet, or bed etc.

Anyway, if you have another computer I'd just pull the drive out and slave it with a USB drive caddie. Pull the data off and be done with screwing around with file permissions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812232002

Old 10-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
middleofnowhere
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would say it is one of two things, both driver issues.

1) The basic safe mode driver for fan control is not sufficient to cool the laptop.
or
2) The safe mode hard drive controller driver is causing the issue.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
JoeMama
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

HEAT HEAT and HEAT

Make sure that your fans are turning and adequately cooling the CPU. You might even want to go so far as to get a 'chill pad' this will help greatly.

If you can, take the casing off and blow out the heatsink unit and its fins (as well as the fan) Another thing if you are technically able to do such - is to reapply some thermal compound to the heatsink/cpu. I have seen countless computers (especially laptops) that have a half assed layer of thermal compound between the heatsink and cpu. Remedy this, clean the fan and the fins and no more issues.

Good luck!
-Me

Eggo Bibo Sum - I drink, therefore I waffle.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 41 Posts

Quote:
Anyway, if you have another computer I'd just pull the drive out and slave it with a USB drive caddie. Pull the data off and be done with screwing around with file permissions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812232002
Thats what I would suggest. They are great for scanning hard drives that are riddled with viruses too. I've saved a few hard drives here at work with one of those.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah, well if you used encryption on any file, and reset the user password, and do not have a backup on outside media of the encryption key, those file(s) are history.

only times winders will reboot is on a corrupt/hung driver. due to heat, or mechanical failure.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Heat. Blow off the heat dissipation fins if you have them. Otherwise, if the laptop has any kind of active cooling, look to clean the vents.