German Pils Saphir Pils - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > German Pils Saphir Pils

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 06:42 PM   #31
HOOTER
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,653
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts


I'm excited to hear how this turns out for you guys, especially since you're following a more proper procedure with your temps. I'll have to do this one again once I get more reliable temp control. It turned out great for me so I can only imagine how well your beers should turn out. Keep us posted.


__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Lots of stuff
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #32
Korben
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Memphis (Mud Island)
Posts: 266

I racked mine to secondary this weekend. It was still rather cloudy, I am hoping that will it will clear. I am going to drop the temp by 5 degrees per day to get to 35 degrees and lager for 1 month. Also, is wlp800 a top fermenting yeast? I really couldn't see the top of the brew because of krausen residue left stuck to the better bottle. I did see some offwhiteish particles while racking at the top of the beer line. Slightly concerned about infection, but I have never had one before and don't really think I have one now. Just wanted to know a little more about how this thing went for everyone else. Really wanted a nice clear brew.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron555 View Post
Homebrewing combines the best of gourmet cooking, beer drinking and chemistry lab.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 AM   #33
HOOTER
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,653
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Korben View Post
I racked mine to secondary this weekend. It was still rather cloudy, I am hoping that will it will clear. I am going to drop the temp by 5 degrees per day to get to 35 degrees and lager for 1 month. Also, is wlp800 a top fermenting yeast? I really couldn't see the top of the brew because of krausen residue left stuck to the better bottle. I did see some offwhiteish particles while racking at the top of the beer line. Slightly concerned about infection, but I have never had one before and don't really think I have one now. Just wanted to know a little more about how this thing went for everyone else. Really wanted a nice clear brew.
Lager yeasts are bottom fermenters. I'm sure those particles you're talking about are nothing. This beer will clear quite a bit in secondary. Are you kegging or bottling?
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Lots of stuff
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:01 AM   #34
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Cheeto's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Spokane, Washington
Posts: 7,366
Liked 381 Times on 336 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
Puterbaugh Farms. Awesome prices. Someone on here just posted about their deals and I jumped on it. Bought 4 pounds total


Puterbaugh Farms = hopsdirect.com
__________________
I don't want to never stop having poop stickers. -Austin post #6909379

I say some stupid chit -TXCrash post #7247287

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:07 PM   #35
Korben
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Memphis (Mud Island)
Posts: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOTER View Post
Lager yeasts are bottom fermenters. I'm sure those particles you're talking about are nothing. This beer will clear quite a bit in secondary. Are you kegging or bottling?
I knew that... about lager yeast man i have had a rough couple days. I think I got a serious case of the dumb.

I am bottling..

Also. I think it was just left over from my rather larger krausen/blow off material.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron555 View Post
Homebrewing combines the best of gourmet cooking, beer drinking and chemistry lab.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #36
MBasile
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Posts: 1,537
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Korben View Post
I racked mine to secondary this weekend. It was still rather cloudy, I am hoping that will it will clear. I am going to drop the temp by 5 degrees per day to get to 35 degrees and lager for 1 month. Also, is wlp800 a top fermenting yeast? I really couldn't see the top of the brew because of krausen residue left stuck to the better bottle. I did see some offwhiteish particles while racking at the top of the beer line. Slightly concerned about infection, but I have never had one before and don't really think I have one now. Just wanted to know a little more about how this thing went for everyone else. Really wanted a nice clear brew.
WLP800 is bottom fermenting, as is all lager yeast. There is still going to be the krausen crud though, and that is probably what you saw on the top. As for clearing. It'll clear as it lagers and the yeast drops out. Lager yeast takes a lot longer to complete its process and go dormant than ale yeast. Also, dry hopped beers tend to have a slight haze to them anyway when unfiltered.
__________________
Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #37
Korben
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Memphis (Mud Island)
Posts: 266

Mine has been lagering for two weeks at 35 degrees now and has still yet to clear... but just a little smell through the airlock smells great. Hope it will drop clear soon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron555 View Post
Homebrewing combines the best of gourmet cooking, beer drinking and chemistry lab.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:05 AM   #38
rpg
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
, VA - VIRGINIA
Posts: 24
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've never done dry hopping, so I'm looking for some clarification... the recipe says ".5 oz. Saphir (dry hop-1 week secondary)" with a total time of 21 days in the secondary. Does this mean I add the hops for the last week in the secondary, or does it mean something else?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #39
HOOTER
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,653
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg View Post
I've never done dry hopping, so I'm looking for some clarification... the recipe says ".5 oz. Saphir (dry hop-1 week secondary)" with a total time of 21 days in the secondary. Does this mean I add the hops for the last week in the secondary, or does it mean something else?
Yep, just throw them in during the last week of secondary.
__________________
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Lots of stuff
On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #40
rpg
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
, VA - VIRGINIA
Posts: 24
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Thanks, Hooter! I have a honey ale coming out of primary in a few days, and I'm really looking forward to trying your pilsner.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
opal or saphir hop suggestions Dr. Fedwell Recipes/Ingredients 5 08-22-2013 02:36 PM
Saphir Single Hop Buna_Bere Recipes/Ingredients 2 05-11-2012 03:12 PM
Saphir hops leotrace Recipes/Ingredients 1 04-04-2011 01:58 AM
Saphir Hops AnOldUR Recipes/Ingredients 11 03-16-2011 04:46 PM
saphir hops????? sub-zero Recipes/Ingredients 5 11-09-2009 09:59 PM


Forum Jump