Ginger Beer? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ginger Beer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 AM   #1
Monomer
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Detroit, MI
Posts: 5


Anyone every make any? I'm having problems finding a good recipe.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:46 AM   #2
Tsuyako
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Washington US
Posts: 331
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Recipes (at the top of the page) -> Spiced/herb beers -> Ginger Beer

Not to sound to blunt but they're there.


__________________
Fermenters: Empty
BB1: Empty
BB2: Empty
Growler 1 & 2: Banana Wine

Bottled: Nothing :( I need to change this.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:57 AM   #3
Killinger
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Ballwin, MO
Posts: 123
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing has a recipe for ginger saison. I made it, and although I had trouble keeping the yeast motivated, it was a popular brew. I also converted it to all-grain, and I can't put my hands on that recipe at the moment, but here's the extract version...

6.6 lbs Light LME
1 lb Light DME
1 lb Cara-Munich
1 lb Light Candi Sugar
1.5 oz Hallertau bittering
.5 oz Hallertau flavor
.5 oz Styrian Goldings aroma
2 oz Crystalized Ginger (cut up)
Saison or Biere-de-Garde yeast

1. Add the grains to cool water (in a bag), heat water to 170F.
2. Remove grains, add DME and LME, boil.
3. Add hops at 60, 10, and 5 minutes.
4. Add candi at 10 minutes.
5. Add ginger at flame out.
6. Cool, pitch, rack, etc.

Took forEVER to finish. Saison yeast likes it hot, so keep it as warm as possible. It ended up giving up way too early, and I had to adjust the bitterness with an additional hop tea at the end of fermentation.
__________________
DHK

"I'm Dr. Henry Killinger, and this is my magic murder bag."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
Austin_
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Nashville, TN
Posts: 822
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


I've brewed AHS's Ginger Hibiscus Saison a while back. To this day it is my most requested "When are you going to brew it again?" It was a beer that was better when consumed a little younger than normal. After 6 months the ginger and hibiscus had faded a little too much. I liked the ginger bite when younger.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #5
DrJekyll-HomeBrew
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Oklahoma
Posts: 55


i have a clone brew book which contains a reciepe message me if your interested
__________________
Been brewing since 2007 and my knowledge is ever growing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
JVD_X's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 1,478
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Killinger View Post
Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing has a recipe for ginger saison. I made it, and although I had trouble keeping the yeast motivated, it was a popular brew. I also converted it to all-grain, and I can't put my hands on that recipe at the moment, but here's the extract version...

6.6 lbs Light LME
1 lb Light DME
1 lb Cara-Munich
1 lb Light Candi Sugar
1.5 oz Hallertau bittering
.5 oz Hallertau flavor
.5 oz Styrian Goldings aroma
2 oz Crystalized Ginger (cut up)
Saison or Biere-de-Garde yeast

1. Add the grains to cool water (in a bag), heat water to 170F.
2. Remove grains, add DME and LME, boil.
3. Add hops at 60, 10, and 5 minutes.
4. Add candi at 10 minutes.
5. Add ginger at flame out.
6. Cool, pitch, rack, etc.

Took forEVER to finish. Saison yeast likes it hot, so keep it as warm as possible. It ended up giving up way too early, and I had to adjust the bitterness with an additional hop tea at the end of fermentation.
I just made this - very tasty. However, I didn't get enough of the ginger through.
__________________
- JVD_X

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
bottleopener
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Jinan, China
Posts: 293
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I made a light session ale (1.040) and added about 1.5 ozs at 12 minutes left.

came out great.
__________________
I'm going to sneak in with the flowers and look innocent.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
Killinger
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Ballwin, MO
Posts: 123
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JVD_X View Post
I just made this - very tasty. However, I didn't get enough of the ginger through.
Agreed, the ginger was mild. You could easily increase it by 50% or more and have something more "extreme". I was brewing it for a party, so I'll count myself lucky it was subtle.
__________________
DHK

"I'm Dr. Henry Killinger, and this is my magic murder bag."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #10
chefkdub
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
NC, NC
Posts: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomer View Post
Anyone every make any? I'm having problems finding a good recipe.
are you looking for a beer with ginger or alcoholic ginger ale(ginger beer)??



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ginger Wine to ginger beer? koomber Winemaking Forum 9 08-30-2014 05:39 PM
Ginger beer coleberg86 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 02-25-2009 08:58 AM
ginger beer? tranceamerica General Techniques 1 12-11-2008 12:13 PM
Ginger Beer.....? Edcculus General Beer Discussion 2 12-03-2007 10:08 PM
Ginger Beer Pale Ale Dale Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 02-25-2006 04:22 AM


Forum Jump