Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > No Grain Mill - Options?

Old 10-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
Jmac00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default No Grain Mill - Options?

Ok, so i got the grains and stuff needed to make some Graff, want to make it this weekend. I purchased the stuff at a LHBS which is about 4hrs away(they crush them on site) but purchasing them and not using them for a while i opted not to get them crushed as i read you're supposed to use them asap after crushing(bought them about a month ago). So, here i am, and i want to make some this weekend.....what are my options. I've read that some use a rolling pin and it worked fine...time consuming but i'm ok with that. Any other options or is this it? its only 1/2lb of crystal malt...so it shouldn't take long..

Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Bendbiker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

blender. Use 1 cup at a time so that things mix a bit better (otherwise top stays at top (uncrushed) and bottom is annihilated. Pulse on medium speed about 5 seconds. Worked for me when I was in a similar situation. Efficiency was a little lower but I stayed on the safe side and didn`t blend the heck out of the grain.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1224 Times on 839 Posts
Likes Given: 2376

I'm sending one of my children over with his skateboard - he'll take care of your problem!

Or rolling pin or blender would work, too, I suppose.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Teacher
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The blender or small food processor should work fine, but be careful! Don't turn it to powder. It might be good to blend it for short bursts to make sure it mixes around well and breaks up evenly.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

if it's only 0.5 lbs, I'd stay away from the blender or food processor and just put them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin or wooden mallet. I'd be afraid of grinding the grains too much with the appliances.

Remember... you are just trying to crack the husks open.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
CalmYourself
Recipes 

I recently did 0.5kg (roughly 1 lb) of home roasted grain using a pestle and mortar. Worked, but my wrist is still sore after.

Pasta maker perhaps?

Primary: Nothing
On Tap: Cream of 3 Crops Ale

http://nochillbrews.blogspot.com/

Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
jrfuda
Recipes 

I did 1.5 lbs using my rolling pin (it was my first extract + specialty grains) and it was not a problem at all. Did it while my water was heating up.

Coincidently, according to my tracking number, my BC is getting delivered today

Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Dr1nkBeer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendbiker View Post
blender. Use 1 cup at a time so that things mix a bit better (otherwise top stays at top (uncrushed) and bottom is annihilated. Pulse on medium speed about 5 seconds. Worked for me when I was in a similar situation. Efficiency was a little lower but I stayed on the safe side and didn`t blend the heck out of the grain.
Damn... I wish i read this before deciding to go with the blender instead of rolling pin... I used 1 lb. of wheat grain in my wheat beer and decided to blend it all at one on pulse... well it was to add 2.6 points to the recipe... i didnt get it. So now my OG is 1.042 instead or 1.047... well thats where i think i missed.
My All Grain Setup https://picasaweb.google.com/antonio...eat=directlink

Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr1nkBeer View Post
Damn... I wish i read this before deciding to go with the blender instead of rolling pin... I used 1 lb. of wheat grain in my wheat beer and decided to blend it all at one on pulse... well it was to add 2.6 points to the recipe... i didnt get it. So now my OG is 1.042 instead or 1.047... well thats where i think i missed.
no real difference there that could be noticed.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Put them in a garbage bag, tie off the top, spread them out as thin of a layer as possible, roll a rolling pin over them with enough pressure to crack the husk but not enough to crush it into tiny little pieces.