Transfer between cornies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
So, I just put a pumpkin beer into a keg and it tastes like birch beer! I had a prior batch of birch beer in the keg and thought that Oxiclean would be enough to clean it. However, i didnt pull any of the posts off the keg and clean and soak them, or didnt clean/change any of the o rings either. I know, i Know, dumb move.

However, I have another empty keg and I wanna transfer the beer to this keg. The beer is already carbed, so I am wondering if its okay to hook up a beer line with a couple disconnects, and transfer, under pressure, from the old keg to the new keg. Obviously I will hook both connects up to the beer out side. I have read that this possible, but i wanna confirm this is okay.

Hopefully this will minimize that soda flavor and i didnt ruin my beer!

Yeah, i do it from time to time, either to move it from one keg to another if i want to use it as a secondary and leave trub behind.. Or to blend two kegs.

Just make you up a jumper like you said. I have 8 feet of bev. tubing, put two black disconnects on it with a flare nut so i can take it apart after cleaning it hang it up to dry.
Then jump from out-post to out-post on the kegs, turn down the pressure, and push the beer over to the next keg. When you are at the end and you see trub or air coming through your lines, pull the disconnect to the second keg.

This forum is great, I never thought of this... <Adding this to my bag of tricks> Good Luck on the beer and if possible let me know how it works. ;)

I am on my phone right now so I can't find the link, but someone posted an interesting method that involved siphoning under pressure in a closed loop.

basically you connect in to in, and out to out after both kegs are pressurized and purged with CO2. then you elevate your full keg and release some pressure from the bottom keg to start the siphon.

I am on my phone right now so I can't find the link, but someone posted an interesting method that involved siphoning under pressure in a closed loop.

basically you connect in to in, and out to out after both kegs are pressurized and purged with CO2. then you elevate your full keg and release some pressure from the bottom keg to start the siphon.

That's right that's how I do it. You set the pressure on both kegs to like 9psi or something. YOu elevate the donor keg. Connect in to in , out to out, then pull the release valve on the recieving keg until the siphon starts. During this tranfer both kegs will have the same pressure.

I make the jumper as mentioned and put pressure on the full keg, then burp it occasionally with the pressure relief valve.

You may want to look into changing your serving line, soda can leave flavors in the lines, I imagine the stainless in your keg is perfectly clean and fine.

Back