Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Apfelwein yeast cake lumps, infection

Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
jmo88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Apfelwein yeast cake lumps, infection

So the past two times i've made to five gallon batches of apfelwein, one of 5 gallons has become infected. The first time I didn't notice until after bottling and it tasted terrible, like the yeast had a awful aftertaste and smell (EC 1118). Each bottle had bumps on the yeast cake, about the size of bb's. This looked much different than any beer yeast cake and kinda looked like a petri dish. NOW, my carboy with 2month old apfelwein is developing and growing these same bumps on its yeast cake. Is this autolysis? It seems to be yeast derived and not a sanitation issue. Especially given the time it takes to show signs. Any thoughts?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I doubt it's autolysis. If your yeast is in good health, you'll be hard pressed to ever get autolysis. Why do you think it's not sanitation? It sounds exactly like infection to me. Do you use campden tablets?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
jmo88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos_Locos_Brewery View Post
I doubt it's autolysis. If your yeast is in good health, you'll be hard pressed to ever get autolysis. Why do you think it's not sanitation? It sounds exactly like infection to me. Do you use campden tablets?
A couple reasons: I sanatise meticulously with iodophor. The infection, or whatever it is, develops from the bottom yeast. It takes months to develop. I would think that if I got an infection it would happen sooner and would develop from the top, the only opening. I never get beer infections and this apfelwein infection gets me 50% of the time. I don't use campden

Old 10-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
jmo88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos_Locos_Brewery View Post
assuming this is an infection, I'm interested in the type of infection. I can't seem to find this anywhere in what I've researched.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I make apfelwien in an opaque bucket and have never looked at the yeast cake during fermentation. How is the flavor? Does it taste infected? Are you reusing your yeast cake? I have however tried a few different yeasts for apfelwien and got some pretty unfavorable(yet drinkable) results.

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
jmo88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
I make apfelwien in an opaque bucket and have never looked at the yeast cake during fermentation. How is the flavor? Does it taste infected? Are you reusing your yeast cake? I have however tried a few different yeasts for apfelwien and got some pretty unfavorable(yet drinkable) results.
I pitch fresh packs of 1118 on it every time and have never used a different yeast. The yeast doesn't always perform this way. It tastes and smells like vomit. But in a background yet tame sort of way. I can drink it, but I don't like it. The apfelwein that doesn't have this characteristic has a hint of that flavor if it is young and you pour in a bit of the yeast from the bottom of the bottle.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3003 Times on 2910 Posts
Likes Given: 148

How long are you fermenting? How long until this comes up?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #8
jmo88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
How long are you fermenting? How long until this comes up?
Yeast completely dropped out of suspension a month ago. Time has blocked me from bottling and the lumps started to appear three days ago. They are multiplying everyday. The airlock hasn't been removed at all since pitching, so I am unsure if the flavor has the same profile, but I assume it does.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #9
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I think i know what pulse is getting at. Maybe fermenting too long. I like the apfelwine relatively young. In fact, a frenchman in biker shorts has a better chance of getting down that river in deliverance unmolested than a 5 gal keg of apfelwine does of aging past 3 monts here.

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
jmo88
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe View Post
I think i know what pulse is getting at. Maybe fermenting too long. I like the apfelwine relatively young. In fact, a frenchman in biker shorts has a better chance of getting down that river in deliverance unmolested than a 5 gal keg of apfelwine does of aging past 3 monts here.
Then we are looking at autolysis, right? This seems to be caused by the yeast, and develops late. Not sure what else it could be. Many people are very quick to disregard autolysis, and I am not sure why. It seems very real to me.