Suggest me a good choc stout recipe - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Suggest me a good choc stout recipe

Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Redondo Beach
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

so ive brewed up mostly ipas, and want to try something different. i don't know much about stouts....guiness is about as far as my knowledge goes. as i was sitting at breakfast having a guiness yesterday, i want to make a stout.

that being said, can someone give me a choc stout recipe, AG 5 gallon batch. this will be my first all grain, brew in a bag. i did my first PM the other day and it was a success! i have a brew bag capable of 15 lbs of grain and an 8.5 gal pot, but id like not to use the whole 15 lbs.

thanks

Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #2

Check this out

That looks like an excellent recipe in my opinion. It will be a very pronounced chocolate flavor. I didn't read through the whole thing, just looked at the recipe. Obviously, leave out the raspberry, especially since it's raspberry flavoring and not the real deal.

Also, I didn't notice you can only do 15 lbs. of grain. You could probably get by with dropping the 6-row and reducing the chocolate malt a bit. I might reduce the roasted barley to less than 0.3 lb. also.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I think most sources suggest that you stay away from anything besides cocoa powder or cocoa nibs. Adding chocolate itself will be putting a ton of oil and possibly milk products into your beer that will completely kill the beer head.

Read up on this thread. Great tips for making a "chocolate" beer. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/what...brewing-94804/

Old 10-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Redondo Beach
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

i think i may do the SN stout. this way i can go buy a bottle, see if i like it (i probably will) then make it.

http://www.byo.com/stories/recipes/r...da-stout-clone

Old 04-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
bkirkland
Recipes 

Apr 2010
Corona, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i did i rouge chocolate stout clone .... grain bill was light, added dark chocolate syrup to boil and secondary...

Old 04-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #6
kyleobie
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Chicago, IL
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed one in the sweet stout style and added 1 lb of lactose. The lactose really did wonders in balancing out the bitterness that the cocoa contributed - kind of like cream in a mocha. I also added .5 lb of roasted barley and .5 lb of black patent to fill out the flavors per Jamil's sweet stout recs.

I highly suggest going to your nearest Whole Foods or gourmet store and splurging on some good stuff. My cocoa powder was amazing.