Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > K Type Thermocouple vs RTD temperature sensor

Old 10-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
maxbing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default K Type Thermocouple vs RTD temperature sensor

I am about to pull the trigger on some PID temp controllers from Auber Instraments. I can't decide on the type of temp sensors to go with K Type Thermocouple vs RTD temperature sensor. RTD is a little more expensive but not enough to really matter.

Does anyone have any advice? Pros or cons of each?

Thanks

Old 10-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 704 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 76

This link gives a nice comparison of the two: http://www.smartsensors.com/spec.htm

I've seen a lot of posts recommending RTDs for their higher accuracy and linear response. However, it's splitting hairs, IMHO. Both sensors are capable of less than +/-1% accuracy (effectively, less than +/-1.5 degrees at mash temps). For brewing applications, a decently calibrated thermocouple is just fine. I chose thermocouples for my rig, mostly due to the faster response time.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 13

In our application I don't think you'll see a lot of difference. Just make sure to match your controller to the type of temperature sensor you are going to get. Here's a chart that tells some of the differences
http://www.smartsensors.com/spec.htm

Edit:
darnit, beat by a couple minutes

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 10-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
maxbing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nice link,

Thanks guys.

one column made my decision for me...Ruggedness. other than that for the temps we are talking about both look like they would be fine.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Thermocouples are just a junction between two dissimilar metals where a RTD is simply a resistor that changes value with temperature. As the previous posters pointed out, for our purposes, it's a non issue. I went with a thermocouple because I found one, for not too much money that had a 1/2" NPT thread on it so I could screw it right into my keggle.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The tech at Auberins told me that the RTD coupler is a more accurate sensor. The price difference is not much. What I like about mine is that the actual 1/4" NPT probe is able to be removed from the probe via a quick disconnect. I did not plan on this, just discovered it after I ordered it (to be honest with you I had no idea what I was ordering) after talking to the Auberins tech....who I pissed off with all of my elementary questions.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

RTD is my vote. They offer more repeatable readings over time, and thus more robust in my opinion. I use 3wire RTDs that compensate for the resistance of the wires, which is important if you want to use long runs like I do. 4wire will compensate for different resistances between the wires.

Doorbell wire is a cheap source for wire... get some quick connectors from omega they are only a couple of bucks. Mine have 1/8mpt which I thread into 1/8fpt - 1/8straight thread. A silicone oring and a nut are used to make watertight connections. That's how I modded my stainless conicals to monitor temperature of the beer. I use a dial probe on the kettle... only used to gauge approach to boiling. Good luck!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Bigscience
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Thermocouple Types

Any thoughts on the type of thermocouple to choose? J vs K vs T ect?

Also, I'm thinking about ordering from omega since they seem to have better quality than the Auberins ones I've gotten. The question is the configuration. I can get a connector on the end of the probe, braided line with a connector on the end of the line as well. Does anyone have the connector at the end of the probe? If so, do you like it?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StMarcos View Post
RTD is my vote. They offer more repeatable readings over time, and thus more robust in my opinion.
Not true. You can't change Physics. A junction between between two dissimilar metals will always induce an EMF and unless the two metals change their chemical composition over time the EMF will stay constant.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:14 AM   #10
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

It is true. There are more sources of drift in a thermocouple than in an RTD. They are also more accurate.