Floccing Yeast - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Floccing Yeast

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 03:56 AM   #1
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts



I just pulled the towel off the carboy full of APA that I made last night and it's got some of the craziest yeast activity that I've ever seen in one of my beers. I'm not talking about the krausen... There are HUGE globs of yeast whizzing around, many the size of golf balls (one is easily bigger than a baseball, too).

I've been doing this for over 10 years, but never had this before. Cool.


__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 25,627
Liked 6613 Times on 3907 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
I just pulled the towel off the carboy full of APA that I made last night and it's got some of the craziest yeast activity that I've ever seen in one of my beers. I'm not talking about the krausen... There are HUGE globs of yeast whizzing around, many the size of golf balls (one is easily bigger than a baseball, too).

I've been doing this for over 10 years, but never had this before. Cool.
Pictures would be really nice. What yeast strain?


__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


I just used one of the packets of dry Safale 05 on this one.

I pulled the towel off again just now to snap some pics, but it's not nearly as interesting this morning.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,012
Liked 7603 Times on 5351 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san View Post
I just used one of the packets of dry Safale 05 on this one.

I pulled the towel off again just now to snap some pics, but it's not nearly as interesting this morning.
I've never noticed before, but does S05 flocculate like that before falling to the bottom? That sounds really cool.

I think it's funny that all of us were hoping for pictures.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I've never noticed before, but does S05 flocculate like that before falling to the bottom? That sounds really cool.

I think it's funny that all of us were hoping for pictures.
I don't know... this is only the second time I've ever S05 and I honestly don't remember even peeking at the fermenter on other batch that I used it in.

I should have taken pics for sure.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,012
Liked 7603 Times on 5351 Posts


I use S05 often- but never looked at it before/during fermentation. Now, I'll have to make a batch of something that uses S05, just so I can see it for myself.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
brzrkr
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Northern NJ
Posts: 16

^ haha make sure to take pictures!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washing yeast, starters, pre-made wort, all kinds of yeast Q's 98EXL General Techniques 15 09-06-2011 05:55 PM
Liquid Yeast--Do Kits in Sequence or Split Yeast Pack? osagedr Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 02-27-2010 03:24 PM
WL East Coast Ale Yeast - Who has a good all grain recipe for this yeast? Griffsta Recipes/Ingredients 7 05-16-2009 09:12 PM
Made two batches, one with huge yeast slurry, and one with dry Safale-04 yeast. Jolly McStanson General Beer Discussion 4 03-07-2009 08:23 PM
Cold crash, floccing yeast, & chill haze blue800 General Techniques 3 01-13-2009 04:09 AM


Forum Jump