Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
Also, a little mercury WON'T kill you, as much as you've been led to believe.
If I ever get mercury in my beer, you can have it.
That being said, I'd wager this is not a mercury thermometer. As for the glass, when you rack it from the brew pot to the fermenter, strain it through a coffee filter. If it makes you feel better, use a coffee filter again when going from primary to secondary or bottling bucket.
As for my floating thermometer, it rolled off and hit the sidewalk one brew day. Best thing that could have happened to it.