Bacon - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Bacon

Old 10-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts

Microwave bacon pan FTW. Not QUITE as good as pan fried, but it's hard to screw up when you're drunk unless you punch 20 minutes instead of 2.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #12
jpb5151
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
When I have been drinking I want to cook/eat bacon.

But when I have been drinking, I burn the bacon.

What a cruel, cruel world.

(1L bottle of barley wine is too much for me.)
Yeah, thanks, pal. I've been craving bacon for over 2 weeks now and you just _had_ to bring it up.

I've burned pounds and pounds of bacon, so I learned to cook at a low heat and then sit somewhere close to the kitchen so I could smell it. Even after a few, the smell got me over to check it.

Anyhow, I completely understand and sympathize. After all, the _only_ thing better than bacon is beer.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #13
Chad

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Apex, NC
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

F* that. Oven bacon is the way to go. I cure and smoke my own bacon, but this method works just as well for thick-cut commercial bacon (thinner cut bacon needs too be turned a little sooner).

I use a half sheet pan and wire rack arrangement for my bacon. A half sheet pan is the largest that will fit in a home (as opposed to commercial) oven. The wire rack is optional but well worth it. If you don't have a half sheet pan, use your broiler pan. One comes with every oven, so you have one, even if you've never used it. It's that sort of homespun enameled-looking thing with the slotted top rack. That'll do. Not as well as a half sheet pan with wire rack, but it'll work.

Lay your bacon out on the top rack (either the wire rack or the slitted top of the broiler rack) overlapping slices as little as possible. Slide the whole thing into a cold oven and turn it to the "Bake" setting at 400. Set a timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, flip the bacon. Reset the timer for another 15 minutes. That'll usually do it, but depending on your oven, your bacon and your desired chewy/crispy ratio, you might want to let it cook for another 5 minutes or so. Up to you.

Oven bacon frees the stovetop for the rest of the breakfast cooking, but more importantly it produces perfectly cooked, flat bacon, and allows you to strain the bacon grease off for other purposes -- all without having to deal with a spitting, sizzling pan of curled up bacon. I keep a ramekin of bacon grease in the fridge at all times for biscuits and other savory baked goods. It also goes into greens & soups if I don't have some cubed bacon ready to go for rendering down.

Chad
www.chadwrites.com

Old 10-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #14
jpb5151
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Ohio
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I cure and smoke my own bacon
Chad
The Ancient Scripts mentioned something about a person like you. Here you are, incarnate and willing to help us.

iotw, that's just plain cool. Seriously cool.

If you ever need a taste tester, please let me know.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:56 AM   #15
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Liked 283 Times on 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
F* that. Oven bacon is the way to go. I cure and smoke my own bacon, but this method works just as well for thick-cut commercial bacon (thinner cut bacon needs too be turned a little sooner).

I use a half sheet pan and wire rack arrangement for my bacon. A half sheet pan is the largest that will fit in a home (as opposed to commercial) oven. The wire rack is optional but well worth it. If you don't have a half sheet pan, use your broiler pan. One comes with every oven, so you have one, even if you've never used it. It's that sort of homespun enameled-looking thing with the slotted top rack. That'll do. Not as well as a half sheet pan with wire rack, but it'll work.

Lay your bacon out on the top rack (either the wire rack or the slitted top of the broiler rack) overlapping slices as little as possible. Slide the whole thing into a cold oven and turn it to the "Bake" setting at 400. Set a timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, flip the bacon. Reset the timer for another 15 minutes. That'll usually do it, but depending on your oven, your bacon and your desired chewy/crispy ratio, you might want to let it cook for another 5 minutes or so. Up to you.

Oven bacon frees the stovetop for the rest of the breakfast cooking, but more importantly it produces perfectly cooked, flat bacon, and allows you to strain the bacon grease off for other purposes -- all without having to deal with a spitting, sizzling pan of curled up bacon. I keep a ramekin of bacon grease in the fridge at all times for biscuits and other savory baked goods. It also goes into greens & soups if I don't have some cubed bacon ready to go for rendering down.

Chad
My god, a man who knows something on this board.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:18 AM   #16
Trencher
Recipes 

Aug 2007
Columbus, NC
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1000 for oven cooked bacon. I learned the beauty of this approach after being roped into making breakfast for SWMBO's friend's wedding shower. Made bacon, eggs, homefries and french toast for a dozen ladies, all in the oven.

Quick and easy!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:20 AM   #17
Short Drive
Brewer Baseball!

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Racine WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got the pork belly and cure to make my own bacon. I'll have about 20 lbs when its done in about a week.

Magic Bus Brewery

Old 10-18-2009, 03:27 AM   #18
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts

When I was a kid, we used to raise a few pigs. I miss having fresh bacon in the freezer all year 'round.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #19
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 608 Times on 403 Posts

mmmm, bacon!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #20
Scut_Monkey

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Thanks for making me hungry OP, you jerk. Hahaha just kidding. I love bacon too, almost as much as beer, sleep, sex, sex and sex.