Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Sam's Club Cyser
Old 10-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Sam's Club Cyser

I was at Sam's Club and saw cheap apple juice and honey, so I decided to use make a quick batch of no-boil cyser.

I used:

1 gal pasteurized cider (actively fermenting, pitched 1/2 packet of Nottingham ~28 hours beforehand)
5 86oz bottles Mott's apple juice (came in 2-packs from Sam's Club for $4.19 each)
~2.5lbs "Virginia Brand Pure Honey" ($9 for 5lbs. from Sam's Club... didn't realized it tasted like s**t until after adding it...)
sprinkle of Wyeast nutrient powder

I basically just sanitized a 5 gallon carboy, dumped a couple bottles of juice and the honey, shook it like crazy, added the "cider starter" and the rest of the juice, sprinkled some nutrient.

Total Volume: ~4.4 gallons
O.G.: 1.060 before I decided to add the second half of the last 86oz bottle.
Temp: ~71 deg F

It has been about 16 hours since I added the 1 gallon Nottingam "starter", and it is fermenting pretty vigorously already.

I know it won't taste as great as it could with better ingredients, but this stuff was really cheap, fast, and easy to make.

For some reason I didn't taste the honey before I added it, and it really isn't very good... I was thinking about adding the other 2.5lbs, but not sure if I should do that now?

Should I let it ferment all the way out or try to stop it at about 1.010? Should I think about adding some spices in secondary to liven it up since I used such bland starting ingredients? Do I have to be concerned about it sitting on Nottingham for an extended period of time?

Thanks in advance for your advice.