Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Using yeast cake stil need to double pitch?

Old 10-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
mosquitocontrol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Using yeast cake stil need to double pitch?

Planned on doing a SN celebration ale clone this weekend with an expected OG of 1.075. I was jut going to throw it on a California ale yeast cake after I bottlethe other brew. Should this provide enough happy yeasts to avoid me needing to add more? I'm leaning towards yes.

In a related note, I forgot to filter this and would like to get the grub out. Can I follow standard washing procedures first then put the gathered yeast back in the bucket and put the new brew on that? Obviously trying to avoid a starter since I plan to bottle Saturday and brew Sunday.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitocontrol View Post
Can I follow standard washing procedures first then put the gathered yeast back in the bucket and put the new brew on that? Obviously trying to avoid a starter since I plan to bottle Saturday and brew Sunday.
IMO, this would be the preferred method, and make it easier to get the proper amount of yeast. The entire yeast cake would likely be overpitching. Check out http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to get a good idea of exactly how much yeast you need.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 10-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 268

meh....I'd be tempted to pitch right on the yeast cake without washing...washing is extra work and increased chance for contamination....that trub will get mixed up when you rack your wort on top of the cake, but will settle out again quickly.

Yeah, you are probably overpitching, but I'm not sure it mess anything up....choice is yours though.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

Pitching on a cake is like making a 5 gallon starter. Maybe it's too much yeast, but I've never had a problem.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk