Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Tips for nitro tap?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
moti_mo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Default Tips for nitro tap?

OK, so I have my nitro setup almost complete. I have the stout tap installed and my tank is being charged with the N2/CO2 blend as we speak. I'll be racking a stout into a keg to put on that line tomorrow.

After searching on here and looking through some threads, I've found that I should count on serving at a total pressure of ~30 - 40 psi, so that the CO2 pressure is about 7 - 10 psi.

What I haven't found is the best way to prep the keg before serving. I'm assuming I can rack the stout into the keg, pressurize with the blend up to serving pressure (35 psi or so) and wait a week for it to carbonate. Is this a good procedure or is there a better one?

Any other tips from people who have experience with nitro taps would be thoroughly appreciated. Cheers!

Old 10-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
moti_mo
Recipes 

Nobody's used a nitro tap here that can help me out?

Bump

Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't used nitrogen [yet], but I've researched it for possible future use.

Most people using pure nitrogen carbonate their keg at a low pressure to provide about 1.7 volumes of CO2. That works out to 4 psi of CO2 pressure at 40F. After that, it's nitrogen at ~30psi through a stout tap.

If you're using beer gas (25% CO2), you could skip the CO2 and serve at ~30 psi. I've read it's cheaper to buy pure nitrogen, though.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 10-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
hammer one

Recipes 

Yea Ditto I just recieved my nitro regulator yesterday. Yuri has a lot of good advice. My plan is to carb the beer with co2 then use 1oo% nitrogen to serve.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
moti_mo
Recipes 

I'm using beer gas, so I figure I'm good to set it up at 30 psi, forget about it for the week, and then serve. That should put the CO2 pressure around 7 psi for a pretty decent, but not too high carbonation level.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
rtp-brew
Recipes 

I've just gone through the first keg on my nitro faucet. I think you'll do fine to set and forget. I carbonated with co2 the same you would any other beer. Seal the lid with ~20psi and then carbonate at about 8-10psi. I was too impatient to wait on the first keg, so I used the shake method. It worked pretty well but the cascade effect went pretty quick. Certainly not 119.5 seconds.

After a good week of set and forget on the nitro tank (75/25 blend) I started getting a nice pour, which is usually the case with my co2 served beer too. I found that about 38psi with 42-44F beer coming out of the faucet was perfect.

Hope that helps.

on Twitter

Old 10-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Wow, you guys use really high pressure! I have a very short line on my stout tap (no point in adding resistance when the whole reason for beergas is to push the beer hard without overcarbing) and I have it set for about 18psi. Even then I get a bigger head of foam than any guinness I've ever been served. Maybe I'll experiment with a little high pressure.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 10-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Well, looks like you guys have changed my ways. I turned it up to 30, expecting half a glass of foam, but it now pours exactly how I always wanted it to. Go figure.

Furthermore, I kicked my stout in the process, so now I get to try my pumpkin ale. Pumpkin ale on nitrogen...mmm...
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 10-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
mymbtheduke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It is easy to Nitro. Rack to keg. Connect and turn pressure up to 30 pounds (75/25 beer gas). Come back 6 to 7 days later and enjoy. My temp is set to 40 degs. I have done a stout and bitter this way. Next week is my Boddingtons clone. Nitro ROCKS.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
moti_mo
Recipes 

Thanks for all the help guys. It seems like the consensus for my beer gas is 30 psi/set/forget/enjoy. I'm going to pick up the tank now and rack into the keg. I'm really psyched to have one kegerator dedicated to nitro, and now I'm just thinking of what I want on there next after my stout.

Coasterine, glad you provided an immediate case-in-study, enjoy the pumpkin ale.

Cheers!