Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > maple Syrup
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 10-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Firstnten
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Aberdeen NJ
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

How many pounds of this should I use. Should I use the same standard as Honey 11.5 oz's?

I have five cans of this stuff:

http://www.thecanadiangourmet.com/pr...ts_id=24822153

I'm going to use 5 gallons of cider and red star montrachet.

Thoughts?

Old 10-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
CvilleKevin
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 149 Times on 64 Posts

This post has some interesting info on using maple syrup. No word yet on how it came out
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/how-...e-syrup-97274/

Old 10-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Firstnten
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Aberdeen NJ
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvilleKevin View Post
This post has some interesting info on using maple syrup. No word yet on how it came out
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/how-...e-syrup-97274/
Thanks...............

Old 10-16-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
Firstnten
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Aberdeen NJ
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I went over the thread. Someone posted that it will ferment 65% of the syrup? I made cyder with molasses before maybe I should just go the same route as that? 3bls.

this stuff is over 10 bucks for a can and I got it for free.

decisions decisions.....

Old 10-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
jackson_d
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Wicker Park, Chicago IL
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I am making an attempt at a maple stout tomorrow.

Charlie's book says 1 GALLON syrup per 5 gallons of beer. 1 FREAKIN GALLON!

I actually went to whole foods and bought 4 32 oz bottles of grade B Organic Maple Syrup made by Whole Foods for freakin $18.99 each! Beersmith says OG 1.137 and 14% when its all said and done!

I dont know what to do either. I was also thinking about half at the end of the boil, and then half in the secondary. I really want me some maple flavor, but am concerned since maple syrup is mostly sucrose, that it will mostly ferment out and the beer will be super dry either way...

I might just do it an put in a freaking gallon of maple syrup and see what happens.

As far as if you should use just 11 oz and treat it like honey, whenever i use a pound of honey, I never taste the actual honey in the beer. My thought would be that you need a sh*t ton of maple syrup to get the taste, but I am nervous about an entire gallon...

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Old 10-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Firstnten
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Aberdeen NJ
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson_d View Post
I am making an attempt at a maple stout tomorrow.

Charlie's book says 1 GALLON syrup per 5 gallons of beer. 1 FREAKIN GALLON!

I actually went to whole foods and bought 4 32 oz bottles of grade B Organic Maple Syrup made by Whole Foods for freakin $18.99 each! Beersmith says OG 1.137 and 14% when its all said and done!

I dont know what to do either. I was also thinking about half at the end of the boil, and then half in the secondary. I really want me some maple flavor, but am concerned since maple syrup is mostly sucrose, that it will mostly ferment out and the beer will be super dry either way...

I might just do it an put in a freaking gallon of maple syrup and see what happens.

As far as if you should use just 11 oz and treat it like honey, whenever i use a pound of honey, I never taste the actual honey in the beer. My thought would be that you need a sh*t ton of maple syrup to get the taste, but I am nervous about an entire gallon...
A gallon seems allot...I'm going to use at least three LB's

Old 10-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
jackson_d
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Wicker Park, Chicago IL
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

plus after i read your thread closer, you are making cider and i am making beer... i just got a little excited and didnt read it close enough. but per my scale a quart is about 3#s

when making the beer, i am gonna throw in the syrup. 12# or 1 gallon. I am just gonna sparge with a little less and throw in the gal of syrup 5min before end of boil...

good luck with your cider

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...