Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Viable dry hop technique?

Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
haighter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Viable dry hop technique?

I've read many a-post on here wondering how to dry hop, how to get the hops fully wet and submerged and began thinking. What if you put the hops in the secondary first, then poured the brew from the primary? I get the feeling most of the time, the brew is siphoned into the secondary and then the hops are added. The way I'm positing would have to ensure total submersion, which I assume is the goal in the first place.

Secondary: West Coast IPA

On-deck: Hefeweizen / wheat beer

Old 10-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
dsdrake219
Recipes 

they going to float unless you put them in a bag and weigh it down. they fall eventually (in my experience in about 10 days) and i bottle

honestly i dont think it makes any difference .. i normally go for after its racked dont get hop particle on your hose or whatev you use for racking

Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2869 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

I think most people do as you suggest, add the hops to the carboy then rack on top. That's how I rack beer onto annything, oak chips, fruit, etc. In fact since many folks on here use the statement "Rack on to..." that that way is implied.....

But like so many other things in brewing it really makes no difference, and is simply a matter of preference.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew