WANTED - Carboys in Chicago area! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > For Sale > WANTED - Carboys in Chicago area!

Old 10-16-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
MrInternet
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Hey all,

Just getting started out here, but NOT going to drop $50 on a carboy at the LHBS... just reaching out to see if anyone in the Chicagoland area has some they wouldn't be needing. I'm not trying to nickel and dime anyone, but I do have to have some money left over for ingredients, yeah?

Lemme know, I can be reached via PM here, or at "tom <underscore> sanderson (at) yahoo -DOT- com" .. sorry, spam bots suck.

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
noblesquirrel
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Chicago, IL
Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I'm not sure if they are still open, but Chicagoland wine in Elmhurst used to have good deals...
Current: Mead-Blackcurrant, Coffee Metheglin, Vanilla Chile Metheglin, Mojito, Macadamia Blossom Trad, Carrot Mead, Grapefruit Ginger, Dry Tupelo Trad, Elderberry. Beer- Exportbier, Am. Brown Ale, Märzenbier, RIS, Doppelbock, Mosaic-Golden Promis SMASH, Bramling Cross Strong Bitter

Old 10-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #3
MrInternet
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Bleh, I was just there today... I won't be going back. The store was creepy and the dude that was there acted baked and uninterested. They wanted like $55 for a 6 gallon!! I asked if they sold used and he said "that's all we have" ... I was VERY impressed with Fox valley Home Brew & Winery in Aurora compared to this place... cleanliness and selection-wise, not price-wise on the carboys. Seems like that's one of the items LHBS's try to make their money on...

I'm currently trying to see if there are any possibilities with a couple of buddies of mine who are PH.D. chemists at a local chemical plant... yeah, I caught the bug BAD...

Old 10-16-2009, 04:15 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

It's not that the LHBS are trying to gouge you on carboys but since Mexico stopped producing, they have to be imported from Italy at double the cost.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
MrInternet
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
It's not that the LHBS are trying to gouge you on carboys but since Mexico stopped producing, they have to be imported from Italy at double the cost.
Really? Seems like a ripe opportunity for an American company to step up... I didn't know that, thanks for the info...

Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
llenrocs
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Central IL

If you get downstate at all, Friar Tucks (Savoy, Bloomington, Peoria, etc...) sells them (3, 5 & 6 gal) for around $25.

Daddy's Bubble Drink Brewing

On Tap:Northwest Pale Ale
Bottled: Vanilla Porter
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Bavarian Hefe

Old 10-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #7

I'm pretty sure Bev Art sells Better Bottle carboys for much less then that - they're at 101st and Western, you could call first to check the prices.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
nollerbrewing
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Milwaukee WI

My home brew shop in Milwaukee sells 6 gal glass carboys for $34.99

Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Elmhurst, IL, IL
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInternet View Post
Bleh, I was just there today... I won't be going back. The store was creepy and the dude that was there acted baked and uninterested. They wanted like $55 for a 6 gallon!! I asked if they sold used and he said "that's all we have" ... I was VERY impressed with Fox valley Home Brew & Winery in Aurora compared to this place... cleanliness and selection-wise, not price-wise on the carboys. Seems like that's one of the items LHBS's try to make their money on...

I'm currently trying to see if there are any possibilities with a couple of buddies of mine who are PH.D. chemists at a local chemical plant... yeah, I caught the bug BAD...
No! Not Kyle! You should come for one of the instore brew sessions its a real experiance you wont forget!

Old 10-18-2009, 01:31 AM   #10
brad97z
Recipes 

Apr 2009

Go to the brewers coop in warrenville, they have really good prices. I picked up a couple of 3 gallon carboys there and only paid 17 each.