Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Starting to study for BJCP Exam!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
Edcculus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealf View Post
You can do it!! I just took it a few weeks ago... As I am sure you have heard a million times do not take too long on any questions, it isn't worth it to burn time on a question you don't know the answer to... move on and it will come to you.
Thanks,

I've been going through the study guide and hashing out answeres to all the questions. That way, I'll save time when it comes to the style questions. I know they all won't be there, but I'll at least have in mind what beers I want to use for the 25% more wheat, ales with OG > 1.070, ales with OG < 1.040 etc. I should hopefully be able to write down the basics of each style faster since I've concentrated on those styles.

I'm really hoping to get National level on the first try. We'll see!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Good luck man!

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 02-13-2010, 02:04 AM   #13
Edcculus
Recipes 

Ah, my brain hurts! I haven't had to study in over a year. Got the classic examples memorized. If I don't know it by now, its not getting in my head by 10:00 tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:02 AM   #14
Hinermad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Ah, my brain hurts! I haven't had to study in over a year. Got the classic examples memorized. If I don't know it by now, its not getting in my head by 10:00 tomorrow.
Two rules I learned the hard way:

1) A good night's sleep is worth more on an exam than an extra four hours of cramming.

2) Reviewing on the morning of the exam only leads to confusion. Trust yourself; you know the stuff or you wouldn't be there.

Good luck!

Dave

Old 02-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #15
Edcculus
Recipes 

Man you aren't kidding. Thats the fastest 3 hours of my life. Otherwise, not terrible besides the hand cramps.

The only thing that really threw me for a loop was the 2nd style question. It was on maibock/bock/dopplebock, which I'm not too familiar with. I kind of screwed up a Robust Porter, which I thought was too thin and roasty and said it should have been a Dry Stout. I did however pick up on the diacetyl, even though I can't smell it. I finished with about 10 minutes to spare and feel pretty confident about it.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I screwed up on the tastings as well... I hope to improve with some experience. One of our style questions was Northern German Altbier/Marzen/Dusseldorf Altbier; so, I feel your pain on that question, I had no clue to either of the Altbiers... just put medium carbonation/medium mouthfeel etc etc.