Yeast Propagation Stir Plate - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Yeast Propagation Stir Plate

Old 10-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
shane7676
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Fort Collins, CO

Hello,

I am going to get started with creating a yeast bank, and it will become more important, even essential, to use starters.

I am looking into getting a stir plate. I wanted people's opinions about creating my own, getting something like the Stir-Starter, or buying a used laboratory one from ebay or somewhere.

I just feel like one that I could build or something like the Stir-Starter might not last as long as a used commercial one.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
-Shane.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Catt22
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Liked 70 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane7676 View Post
Hello,

I am going to get started with creating a yeast bank, and it will become more important, even essential, to use starters.

I am looking into getting a stir plate. I wanted people's opinions about creating my own, getting something like the Stir-Starter, or buying a used laboratory one from ebay or somewhere.

I just feel like one that I could build or something like the Stir-Starter might not last as long as a used commercial one.

Thanks,
-Shane.
I have built my own and a bunch more for friends. They work well and I haven't had one fail so far. They should last indefinitely as they are only used occasionally and then only for a couple of days at a time. The bottom line is really the cost and how much you enjoy building your own stuff. I would get a commercial one if cost was not an issue. Some are heated which is an added convenience. I can build one for under $30 using all new quality parts. It's hard to find used commercial ones that cheap and it's a crap shoot as to what condition the used ones might be in. Most won't carry a warranty. I don't understand why the commercial stir plates are so expensive. There really isn't much too them.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane7676 View Post
Hello,

Thanks,
-Shane.
The Stir Starter is tuff to beat and can be had for a touch over $30 brand new. Tons of guys here have them and swear by them including myself. The manufacturer is also a member here. It is as reliable as any other commercial unit and the manufacturer stands behind his product and is easy to deal with.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Silver Spring, MD.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

If you have a power supply, old computer fan and an old hard drive you can do this for under $20. I took a 6v blue tooth charger and soldered a fan, rheostat and switch in series with it. Stir plate works great and I didn't have to sent the ~$40 from stirstarters.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Falcor
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins_Brew View Post
If you have a power supply, old computer fan and an old hard drive you can do this for under $20. I took a 6v blue tooth charger and soldered a fan, rheostat and switch in series with it. Stir plate works great and I didn't have to sent the ~$40 from stirstarters.
this assumes that you own a soldering iron and other such supplies. I didn't, and now after buying all the random little things and the pain in the ass to find stuff like tiny bolts to hold the heatsink on the LM317T, etc I think I've spent a good $50+ (shipping included) and wasted lots of time. also found out that the power supply I am using is 30V output so now I have to track down something around 12V cause the fan spins so fast it just throws the bar. kind of wishing I had just bought one at this point.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Silver Spring, MD.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yea I had the soldering iron but they are only like $6 and it is something you will use again at some point. I will take a pic of my stir plate when I get home tonight but I did not need to bolt my fan down. The top of the project box puts enough force on my fan that it keeps in held in place. I was planning on just using super glue to hold it down, which I am sure would have worked too.

I used a bluetooth charger that is putting out 6vdc. I wouldnt even mess around with a LM317T if you had a power supply that put out ~6vdc. IMO, that stir starter design is a little too complex for something as simple as a stir plate. It works sure, but so does a rheostat and a power switch.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)