at what point would it help to increase the ambient temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterGreen

Reaction score
So, I've read that some of you guys move your primary to a warmer area toward the end of primary fermentation. If you're leaving the primary alone for 2-3 weeks, at what point would it help to increase the ambient temp?

:D, Bill. However, "ambient temperature" simply refers to the temperature of whatever surroundings you are talking about (whether it be outside, in your den, or in your fermentation fridge).

I gradually raise the temperature as fermentation slows, until I get to my "final" temperature. To illustrate, I may start my fermentation in a roughly average temperature range of 65F. Over the couple days or so that the fermentation is very active, I won't touch it. Then, as the fermentation slows, I will bump the ambient temperature up to 68 or so over a couple days, to help ensure that the yeast remains active. Often, at the tail end, when fermentation has slowed to a crawl (say, one bubble every ten seconds, but I am not that exact about it), I'll raise the temperature up to the high end of the yeast's range (say, 72F) to help ensure full attenuation and post-fermentation cleanup.

TL

:D, Bill. However, "ambient temperature" simply refers to the temperature of whatever surroundings you are talking about (whether it be outside, in your den, or in your fermentation fridge).

I gradually raise the temperature as fermentation slows, until I get to my "final" temperature. To illustrate, I may start my fermentation in a roughly average temperature range of 65F. Over the couple days or so that the fermentation is very active, I won't touch it. Then, as the fermentation slows, I will bump the ambient temperature up to 68 or so over a couple days, to help ensure that the yeast remains active. Often, at the tail end, when fermentation has slowed to a crawl (say, one bubble every ten seconds, but I am not that exact about it), I'll raise the temperature up to the high end of the yeast's range (say, 72F) to help ensure full attenuation and post-fermentation cleanup.

TL

Thanks Tex, that's what I was looking for.

Back