Oxydation of HERMS mash - inlet tubing/manifold - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oxydation of HERMS mash - inlet tubing/manifold

Old 10-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
kingoslo
Recipes 

Jan 2009

Hello,

I am about to construct my first HERMS

I was reading this:

Quote:
You probably have a small beverage cooler already that would work well with a drop-in manifold like that shown with the rectangular cooler in Appendix D. One advantage to using a manifold, versus pouring the mash into a strainer, is that you avoid aerating the wort while it is hot. As was discussed in Chapter 6 - Yeast, and Chapter 8 - Fermentation, oxidation of hot wort at any time will lead to flavor stability problems in the beer later.

Source: PALMER - how to brew: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18-3.html
I imagine that by circulating the mash, more of the liquid would come in contact with the air. I was wondering what kind of inlet manifold for the returning hot mash I would use to minimize oxidation.

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Marius Jonsson

Old 10-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1695 Times on 1089 Posts

It's usually either a piece of hose that sits on top of the grainbed, UNDER the wort level or a manifold of some sort that does the same. You don't splash it back in from any kind of height.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Troubs

Recipes 

Dec 2008
North Smithfied, Rhode Island
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's what I plan to use on my HERMS. Just a piece of hose