coors light recipe? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > coors light recipe?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Scooterkdavis
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Northern California
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

im not bothering to post this in the recipe thread in fear of crucifixion, wait... going to make a long story short. every month my poker group picks a beer for me to try and clone. they are all beer drinkers, micro brews and imports, but when we play poker we are drinking to get drunk and usually drink bmc because otherwise we would be spending more on beer than the 30$ buy in. anyways got a few good ones under my belt. Anyways last night one of the DD's brought 2 Stella's and challenged me to make a stella clone. I told them that i dont have enough knowledge to do that. after a bunch of **** givin to me by everyone because ive never failed before they told be to make the simplest lauger. COORS LIGHT. Can someone help me with this one, i dont even know how to make a light extract beer, or let alone had very good luck cloning lagers. If anyone knows a clone kit for coors light please help me out. personal message me if you feel shame.

Thanks

Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #2

Have you looked in HBT's recipe database?

Alternatively, go to Austin Homebrew's site and check out their American light lager extract kit. Now, that's a lager, so you have to be able to ferment at colder temperatures using a lager yeast. If you don't want to do that, you can still do a light blonde or cream ale, with a clean/neutral ale yeast, such as Safale US-05.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Scooterkdavis
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Northern California
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
Have you looked in HBT's recipe database?

Alternatively, go to Austin Homebrew's site and check out their American light lager extract kit. Now, that's a lager, so you have to be able to ferment at colder temperatures using a lager yeast. If you don't want to do that, you can still do a light blonde or cream ale, with a clean/neutral ale yeast, such as Safale US-05.
if done a couple lagers and some steams, but im really trying to nail this coors light just to proove to these guys its possible. they tries some other clones ive done, from chimay to newcastle to sammy smiths. got pretty cloose on taste on most. but would really like to put up a lager.... Really id like to do a Stella clone just to show em, but second best would really be an exact taste to coors light.....

I know it seems wierd but i cant imagine or compute how to do a beer with so little flavor.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
jkarp
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts

There is a Stella recipe in the database. I've done it and it's quite good - especially with some ageing. I think your poker buds would be quite impressed.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Scooterkdavis
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Northern California
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
There is a Stella recipe in the database. I've done it and it's quite good - especially with some ageing. I think your poker buds would be quite impressed.
that sounds good, but i dont have an all grain set up....

im actually really tierd

is it possible to exchange the 2 row and pilsner for say 6.6# of pilsner extract?

once agian i know this should be in anothe =r catagory but

Scotch is a hell of a drug

Old 10-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7705 Times on 5414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterkdavis View Post
if done a couple lagers and some steams, but im really trying to nail this coors light just to proove to these guys its possible. they tries some other clones ive done, from chimay to newcastle to sammy smiths. got pretty cloose on taste on most. but would really like to put up a lager.... Really id like to do a Stella clone just to show em, but second best would really be an exact taste to coors light.....

I know it seems wierd but i cant imagine or compute how to do a beer with so little flavor.
In my opinion, a stella clone would be easier than a Coor's Light clone. A Coor's clone would use adjuncts, and the correct water, and the perfect lagering system. It would be a lower bodied, lower ABV beer. I don't know if an extract recipe could do a good BMC clone. I think the Stella clone, because it's "bigger", would cover a bit more flaws, although not many!

Old 10-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
jkarp
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterkdavis View Post
that sounds good, but i dont have an all grain set up....
Ahhh, I missed that you're an extract brewer. I think this recipe is pretty easily translated to extract. I'd go with this for the malts, and keep the rest of the instructions the same:

2.7 lb Pilsener dry extract
2.7 lb Extra light / Golden light dry extract
0.6 lb of Rice dry extract

Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1654 Times on 1069 Posts

It's cheaper to buy coors light than to make it.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It's cheaper to buy coors light than to make it.
Just buy, recap and relabel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
mitch171
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Finger Lakes, NY
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Maybe try to find the oldest cheapest ingredients, don't use real hops, and drive it around for miles. That should come close. Oh and don't forget to serve it extra cold and have a sweet indication that it is cold on the container.

Or you could make a batch of some lightish beer and dilute it in half with water, just make sure your alcohol % before dilution is at least 6%

BTW I am being serious.