Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout - Page 85 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #841
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Knightdale, NC
Posts: 674
Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCrap View Post
Got the ingredients for this today.... Brewing it this sat. How long do you condition it
This beer is ready relatively quickly. I found mine to be quite tasty after only 2 weeks in the fermenter and 3 weeks in bottles. Longer aging times will help (it ages well), but the relatively average gravity means that extended aging is not NEEDED for the beer to be really good.
__________________
"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:56 AM   #842
HBrew71
 
HBrew71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Sugar Land
Posts: 219
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OhCrap View Post
Got the ingredients for this today.... Brewing it this sat. How long do you condition it
I keg conditioned my first batch 2+ months. Second batch 7+ months. Both were good. But guess which one was better.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #843
Larzean
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Larzean's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Albany, NY
Posts: 304
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


I made this a month or so ago & followed the recipe exactly. I love it & brought it to a party of normal corona/bud drinkers & it went over really well with people there as well, even a guy who NEVER drinks had a few and liked it!

My question, and my apologies if its already been answered (I did read the whole thread awhile ago...) my girlfriends friend is asking me for a "chocolate" beer.. I was thinking of doing this recipe again but adding nibs to my fermenter & maybe upping the lactose to a pound. Any idea on how that would turn out?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #844
OhCrap
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Galway
Posts: 629
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew71

I keg conditioned my first batch 2+ months. Second batch 7+ months. Both were good. But guess which one was better.
Ty...longer is better as usual
__________________
Beer
1 is good
2 is better
3 is enough &
4 ISN'T half enough

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #845
Travestian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Travestian's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 500
Liked 59 Times on 51 Posts


Brewed the all grain version of this today with GREAT success! OG turned out 1.061 with an even 5 gallon batch. Initial tasting (from the wine thief) was AMAZING! Nice work NCBeernut! Can't wait for a month to roll on by to try this thing at the next tasting when bottling hehe...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #846
Mcbobs
 
Mcbobs's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Manhattan, Kansas
Posts: 256
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzean View Post
My question, and my apologies if its already been answered (I did read the whole thread awhile ago...) my girlfriends friend is asking me for a "chocolate" beer.. I was thinking of doing this recipe again but adding nibs to my fermenter & maybe upping the lactose to a pound. Any idea on how that would turn out?
You'll never know unless you try it!

Sounds pretty tasty to me though....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #847
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Knightdale, NC
Posts: 674
Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzean View Post
I made this a month or so ago & followed the recipe exactly. I love it & brought it to a party of normal corona/bud drinkers & it went over really well with people there as well, even a guy who NEVER drinks had a few and liked it!

My question, and my apologies if its already been answered (I did read the whole thread awhile ago...) my girlfriends friend is asking me for a "chocolate" beer.. I was thinking of doing this recipe again but adding nibs to my fermenter & maybe upping the lactose to a pound. Any idea on how that would turn out?
I suspect that would work VERY well. I have brewed this beer as-is, and it turned out VERY good. Adding nibs to secondary and sweetening with a little more lactose should make an EXCELLENT chocolate/dessert beer.

Let me know how it turns out, because I had the EXACT same idea!!! I want to try that variation next time.
__________________
"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #848
mikecshultz
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 122
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoySeth

I suspect that would work VERY well. I have brewed this beer as-is, and it turned out VERY good. Adding nibs to secondary and sweetening with a little more lactose should make an EXCELLENT chocolate/dessert beer.

Let me know how it turns out, because I had the EXACT same idea!!! I want to try that variation next time.
I added 8 oz of cocoa nibs in the secondary for a week after soaking them in a cup of vanilla rum overnight. Made it deliciously chocolatey.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #849
OhCrap
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Galway
Posts: 629
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts


Was supposed to do this last sat but Doing it on Monday. I was going through my store (organising all the ingredients) and came across some oak chips. I'm not sure i want to mess with a proven recipe but if I suddenly, at the last minute, decide to add some chips to secondary, how much would be enough and how badly would I ruin the taste?

Should I do it or not?
__________________
Beer
1 is good
2 is better
3 is enough &
4 ISN'T half enough

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #850
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
beer
Posts: 448
Liked 102 Times on 66 Posts


Brewed the Deception Cream Stout today, OG = 1.062, 5.25 gallons. Pitched Pacman. Thanks NCBeernut!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deception Cream Stout Yeast? birdley123 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 03-13-2013 08:12 PM
Brew 03 - Deception Cream Stout 4JBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 01-31-2013 11:57 PM
NCBeernut's Deception Cream Stout vs. Yooper's Oatmeal Stout smyrnaquince All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 02-20-2012 03:58 PM
NCBeernut's Deception Cream Stout vs. Yooper's Oatmeal Stout smyrnaquince Recipes/Ingredients 0 02-17-2012 07:37 PM
Little advice on Deception Cream Stout apk Fermentation & Yeast 5 03-23-2011 06:48 PM


Forum Jump