Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

Old 10-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #701
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just kegged the all grain version. Drank all of my hydro sample. Yeah, it's good!

I think this one will be on tap almost all the time. I may play with adding baking chocolate and/or coffee beans in the future. Not that it needs either, I just can't seem to brew the same beer twice

Old 10-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #702
BulldogBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Just kegged the all grain version. Drank all of my hydro sample. Yeah, it's good!

I think this one will be on tap almost all the time. I may play with adding baking chocolate and/or coffee beans in the future. Not that it needs either, I just can't seem to brew the same beer twice
I LOVE this stout. And I'm just finishing up a very good chocolate stout that I keep thinking about switching up and using this recipe and the bakers chocolate to have it be a bit sweeter. Good Idea.
Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #703
Dabbers
Recipes 

After reading this thread, I had to try it. Brewed today and my numbers look pretty good. My only mistake was with the yeast nutrient. i used it for the first time because of what i read in this thread, but my LHBS sells individual capsules of White Labs Servomyces from a larger package they purchased and i didnt have the instructions. When it came time to add it, I just chucked the whole capsule in, assuming it would dissolve. After five minutes of watching it roll around in my boil, I fetched it out (ouch!) and tried to get as much out of the capsule as possible. Minor mistake, but thought I'd share.

Started at 1.060 and used WLP001. No noticeable activity after 6 hours, but I won't worry until tomorrow. Can't wait to try it! You guys sold it well :-)

This is only my third batch of home brew and I was wondering why the rec is to keep it in the primary so long. I've been told that using a secondary is necessary to reduce the chance of "off flavors" in the final product, but I don't have enough experience to validate this. Thoughts?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #704
res291que
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbers

This is only my third batch of home brew and I was wondering why the rec is to keep it in the primary so long. I've been told that using a secondary is necessary to reduce the chance of "off flavors" in the final product, but I don't have enough experience to validate this. Thoughts?
Many people have gone away from the use of secondary fermenters and keep it in the primary a little longer. This helps reduce oxidation and contamination. The "off flavor" you were told about is called autolysis which is the breaking down of dead yeast cells. In my experience it takes a very long time for this to occur, I have had some beers in the primary for 6 weeks with no off flavors. However, if you are going to let this set in the fermenter for more than a couple weeks, I would consider a secondary. Just my two cents worth.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #705
Dabbers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by res291que

Many people have gone away from the use of secondary fermenters and keep it in the primary a little longer. This helps reduce oxidation and contamination. The "off flavor" you were told about is called autolysis which is the breaking down of dead yeast cells. In my experience it takes a very long time for this to occur, I have had some beers in the primary for 6 weeks with no off flavors. However, if you are going to let this set in the fermenter for more than a couple weeks, I would consider a secondary. Just my two cents worth.
Thanks for the response! This helps a lot and a search on autolysis was very helpful. Cin cin!

Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #706
fifthcircle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbers

Thanks for the response! This helps a lot and a search on autolysis was very helpful. Cin cin!
My super simple rule for primary/secondary use:

If the beer is dark enough to not notice slight haze, NO secondary.

If the beer is fermenting longer than 1month, secondary.

If it is being dry hopped, secondary.

I have not experienced any problems either way yet. But, I like to K.I.S.S.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #707
xeerohour
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just brewed this beer yesterday, with a couple of small tweaks - added 1lb of flaked oats, and used Wyeast 1084.

Really looking forward to having a nice cream stout for this winter. Appreciate OP posting the recipe.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #708
BulldogBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeerohour View Post
I just brewed this beer yesterday, with a couple of small tweaks - added 1lb of flaked oats, and used Wyeast 1084.

Really looking forward to having a nice cream stout for this winter. Appreciate OP posting the recipe.
That sounds like a nice addition and will probably lend a great mouth feel quality to it. Post the results soon ;-)
Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #709
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

I just made a batch tonight. So far everything came out great. Started water on stove at 9:32 pm. Was in my closet ready to go at 2:54 am.

I was only able to make 1.6 liters of yeast for this last night, will that be enough of a yeast starter? I am using the 1450 yeast. MY 2 liter erlenmeyer may not be big enough.

This is my first time using liquid yeast and have only used dry yeast so far. Otherwise, everything is pretty much as per the recipe. Is fermax an appropriate yeast nutrient? That is what I had on hand.

Anyways, the grains smelled amazing, and the creaminess was already apparent when I tasted it. I have high hopes on this one. My house smelled awesome tonight. Now I will try my best to control temps in a water bucket for the next few weeks. I will be out of town for three days this weekend also.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #710
Dabbers
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideincircles
I was only able to make 1.6 liters of yeast for this last night, will that be enough of a yeast starter? I am using the 1450 yeast. MY 2 liter erlenmeyer may not be big enough.
I thought about a starter on this one because of the OG, but just used a single White Labs vile and had a strong fermentation going in less than 12 hours. I think you'll be fine, but your 1.6L starter certainly won't hurt!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3931465422.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	81450